Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a question prior to my probable trip to the dealer. I was on vacation and my truck was making this awful creaking sound in reverse. I went to the local Joe mechanic and he immediately identified this as a bad u-joint. He seemed competent so I left the truck with him and he replaced both rear drive shaft joints. Picked up the truck put in reverse and seemed fixed. He stated he road tested and no vibration good to go. Well apparently he didn't make it to 60mph or didn't notice. I did cause she was smooth as butter prior to. I am getting some minor vibration at 60mph progressively gets worse the faster you go. Is this a difficult job on these trucks? Should I re-attempt the job or just take it in.... is there a trick to getting this job correct?

Thanks
Mike.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
He was on vacation. Depending on how far he went he may not want to drive a long way just to get it fixed from the first guy.

My drive shaft (I think) makes a loud creaking, almost like metal rubbing metal, when I hit the gas but it doesn't do it all the time. Mostly until I get above 50 then it stops. Anyway to identify a bad u joint just by looking?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
i have never had a U joint create vibrations after being replaced. have you checked your wheels to see if one of them has lost a wheel weight? you havent mentioned it but is your truck lifted or lowered?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Do you have a carrier bearing? It may be the bearing going out...Adorsey... Unbolt your dl at the rear end. (set your e-brake first) then wiggle it at the joint ... Should not be any free play. OP: check your drive line for any dents or dings.. Maybe places that little strips of weight have been knocked off? Im thinking that your drive line is out of balance....

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
A bad rear tranny seal will do that exact same thing.
I had a '59 Ford that had a couple of cans wrapped around the input shaft. Ran smooth up to 50, then vibrated like hell up to 70. Just before you thought the shaft was coming thru the floor it would thump real loud and get smoothe as silk.
Rear seal took care of it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I can't remember if this is for a specific vehicle or not, but are the driveshaft "ears" and the yokes ears supposed to match up. That is; is the whole assembly balanced and if you mismatch the two you can get vibration? I'm sure I've mismatched them on other vehicles w/o any issue and I always thought the driveshaft was balanced independently, but I'm not sure these days.

If that's not an issue, then my second thought would be that maybe he bent an ear when removing or installing the joints.

·
Registered
144 Posts
He was on vacation. Depending on how far he went he may not want to drive a long way just to get it fixed from the first guy.

My drive shaft (I think) makes a loud creaking, almost like metal rubbing metal, when I hit the gas but it doesn't do it all the time. Mostly until I get above 50 then it stops. Anyway to identify a bad u joint just by looking?

If you get under the car, shake the drive shaft vigorously, that will tell you.

As for the creaking, I don't know the exact perks of the frontier, but i'll tell you how I fixed mine. I bought new nylon spacer pads for the rear leaf springs. Mine was there, just creaked, I replaced it and sound disappeared. Perhaps you have it, it could be rubber or nylon, but it's worth a mention, I believe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts