Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks back I bought a set of used tires from airbag. I got them mounted and balanced at a local tire shop. Saturday I go to replace my front brake pads and notice the finish on my wheels is messed up on all 4. Then I find one of my wheel studs was stripped. I go back and try to be polite about it. The guy is cool about it, tells me to bring them in he'll send them off to have them refinished and replace the wheel stud. Today I went there to drop the wheels off and have the stud replaced. I was there 2 hours. 2 hours seems a bit long to me to have 1 stud replaced. Once they finish the guy tells me 3 of my lug nuts got stripped by the impact.

This is a tire and wheel place, that's 90% of there business and these retards managed to screw up all 4 of my wheels, strip 1 stud, and 3 lug nuts. I am supposed to be getting my wheels back on Friday and guess who is not putting them back on. If these morons can't even tighten lug nuts correctly they have no business ever touching my truck again. And yes I will be checking over the work they did to replace my wheel stud.

And people wonder why I won't let others drive my truck and would much rather work on it myself. It's not to save money or because I like doing it. It's to make sure it gets done right.

To the people in PA avoid CJ's tire and automotive. You may as well let the people at Wal-Mart work on your vehicle. I am just glad I didn't have to fight with them to get them to fix the damage they caused from a simple mount and balance.

·
Banned
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The option was to wait there for them to go get the correct lug nuts, and correct number or pick them up when I go back for the wheels. They had one which wasn't even the right size. I decided to pick them up with the wheels. When I bought my gun metal gray wheels the guy gave me a full set of lug nuts including the locking ones with the key. So I just threw the spares I had here on.

I am just hopeful when I get my wheels back there won't be any issues. It isn't them refinishing them but a company that specializes in fixing wheels. So all should be well as long as it doesn't take forever to get them back.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Reading this doesn't suprise me but the fact that they are manning up to the issue and willing to fix it 2 weeks later boggles my mind. Most shops deny everything unless you point it out right then and there.

I would let them replace the rims and studs this time but I would no longer go there. If they FUBAR the job with the replacement/refinished parts, they are going to be well beyond screwed and in debt on the job.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I think that the fact that they were willing to fix the problem is a huge testament to their customer service. A lot of these places go through workers pretty quick, because of situations like yours, and you can only hope for an outcome like yours at best. It could have been worse and it wasn't and that's the part you should be grateful about.

My bad experience:
I got my brakes done at a WTC, who charged me for pads and rotors (about 400$). Got home everything worked great.........no problems so I didn't bother keeping the receipt. Less than 10K later my rotors were warped so bad I had to bring it back in. Apparently the guy wasn't there any more and I wasn't in the computer so I was out of luck, they were however willing to charge me to fix it again. I went to Firestone to have them look at it and they told me that my rotors were original and cut thinner than was acceptable or allowed and everything had to be replaced. I found out a few years later that I wasn't the only one that it happened to, the guy was charging for parts or labor that he didn't use or do and pocketed the money. He scammed as many people as he could before quitting and got away with it.

Anyway, all I'm saying is don't be quick to bash if there is a good resolution, just think about it.

It was also a different truck a long time ago.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
The fact they are willing to accept responsibility 2 weeks after the job says a lot about the shop's customer service and doesn't necessarily require bashing. One would be lucky to get similar results one day after much less 2 weeks. Maybe it's just one particular moron causing this problem. Hard to imagine a whole shop of techs in a tire store all of which are unable to do a tire change correctly.
This is reminiscent of a recent thread on thenewx where a guy owned up to his daughter scratching an Xterra. The OP still bashes him and calls him a d-bag.
And I have had Walmart, which you also bash, rotate my tires on occasion without a single issue. No impact guns to speak of. All done with a torque wrench.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Impact wrenches are great, and are not the problem, if a 100lb torque stick is used. Sounds like the guy got in a hurry and didn't start the threads properly. But, he may not have used a torque stick (that can be trouble.)

·
Banned
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am impressed they manned up and offered to fix the damage they caused. The reason why I am bashing these people is they damaged my property not once but twice. These are tire people that caused the damage. This is what they do every day. I have mounted and balanced tires before. It's not that hard to take your time and do it correctly.

If the impact stripped the first and second lug, why would you keep going and strip a 3rd? They don't use torque sticks or torque wrenches.

zoomzoom would you let the guys at Wal-Mart adjust the valves in your truck? How about replace a timing chain? Didn't think so. I used to work at wal-mart and heard about these guys stripping drain plugs. I wouldn't let them touch my truck.

It pisses me off that they damaged my property the first time. I was happy when they offered to fix it. And yes it pissed me off when I take it back to get it fixed and they damaged my property again and waste an hour of my time. This is just mounting and balancing tires at a TIRE SHOP.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sorry about your misfortune. I personally have had good luck with CJs. I know a few people who swear by them(the one in limerick). I had a situation awhile back where they could have burned me for a starter for my wife's car (was told it was bad by a towtruck driver) but turned out to just be a bad battery. I hate Pep-boys far worse than CJs.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I noticed some damage to my wheels a few days after I had my tire put on by a shop. It is just a scratch at the edge of the wheel. I thought about going up and trying to get them to repair it, but it wasn't worth the hassle. Instead I plan on painting my rims anyway. Glad that they manned up and are working to correct the problem. The fact that they did fix it I think they would keep my business.

Dan

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
zoomzoom would you let the guys at Wal-Mart adjust the valves in your truck? How about replace a timing chain? Didn't think so. I used to work at wal-mart and heard about these guys stripping drain plugs. I wouldn't let them touch my truck.
I don't disagree that it's kind of pathetic that these 'tire' guys at a tire shop can't mount a wheel properly given that's their area of focus.

I've had 100% of my oil changes done at walmart since I bought the truck brand new in 05. Oil changes done at four different walmarts across the country as I relocated over the years. I haven't had a problem yet.

·
Banned
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got my wheels are tires back today. They look like they did when I bought them. It ended up costing them $283 and some change to fix the damage. It cost me $53 to have them mounted and balanced in the first place.

The only good thing about that place is the assistant manager Bill. Very polite, respectful guy. He was very honest with me, made sure he did his best to get everything straightened out. Called me today telling me the wheels were ready, rolled them out of the garage and over to my truck for me. Made sure I thought they looked good before loading them up. He's the only redeeming quality that place has. That guy defiantly went above and beyond. It's just a shame he's in charge of a bunch of guys that can't do their jobs correctly. I hope for his sake these guys get straightened out and learn to take a little pride in a job well done.

Oh and apparently i'm a proud owner of a 1989 Nissan Frontier.

Good luck with the Wal-Marts zoomzoom after working for Wal-Mart and hearing the stories I wouldn't trust it, not the one by my house anyway.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Got my wheels are tires back today. They look like they did when I bought them. It ended up costing them $283 and some change to fix the damage. It cost me $53 to have them mounted and balanced in the first place.

The only good thing about that place is the assistant manager Bill. Very polite, respectful guy. He was very honest with me, made sure he did his best to get everything straightened out. Called me today telling me the wheels were ready, rolled them out of the garage and over to my truck for me. Made sure I thought they looked good before loading them up. He's the only redeeming quality that place has. That guy defiantly went above and beyond. It's just a shame he's in charge of a bunch of guys that can't do their jobs correctly. I hope for his sake these guys get straightened out and learn to take a little pride in a job well done.

Oh and apparently i'm a proud owner of a 1989 Nissan Frontier.

Good luck with the Wal-Marts zoomzoom after working for Wal-Mart and hearing the stories I wouldn't trust it, not the one by my house anyway.
Glad to see that they took good care of you and you're happy with the result.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts