Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I parked my truck on a steep incline the other day. By the time I have to leave someone parked his car inches in front of me, forcing me to back up first before I can pull out. But with the gear in reverse, as soon as I lift my foot from the brake the truck started to roll forward, almost hitting the car in front of me. Is this normal for an automatic? I ended up having to put the hand brake on before getting the truck moving backward.

DYZ

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
seems a little weird that your truck would roll forward in reverse, was reverse going down the hill or up? your truck would roll down the hill regardless if you were in reverse or in drive

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
On an impressively steep incline that is normal, not just for an auto but a manual will do it too if you're not careful. In cases like this with an auto transmission, it is best to put your left foot on the brake pedal with just enough pressure to keep you in place and press the accelerator pedal with your right foot, releasing the brake when you feel the truck move uphill. If you've got a manual you'll have to be real good with your feet or use the parking brake lever to help you.

An auto will hold you in place on minor inclines, but not extreme ones.

I think the NISMO models have a feature called hill start assist that will apply the brakes for you until you begin uphill.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Man I miss those days with a manual...heel and toeing the brake and accelerator at the same time!

But like everyone else said...that's normal for even an auto.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
its normal. i'm assuming it rolled foreward because you were parked nose down. just ease off the brake next time to gauge what the truck is going to do. applying a little throttle while still depressing the brake peddal will eliminate the behavior you described.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I have an '05 LEKC 4x2 and I do not have the hill start assist. On a steep incline my truck will roll. I do not have that problem with my wife's Toyota Solara. It has never rolled back or forward on me when starting out.

OkieScot

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think the 'hill start assist' is an automatic feature. don't you have to push a button first and be in 4wd?

·
Senior Forum Moderator
1,138 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think the 'hill start assist' is an automatic feature. don't you have to push a button first and be in 4wd?
You are correct. Hill start assist is only on manuals. In the automatics we can depress the brake pedal all the way to the firewall and it will slowly release itself, giving you time to move your foot over to the gas pedal. Once you hit the gas, it will pop back out to its normal position.

·
Registered
816 Posts
My 4X4 automatic has Hill Descent Control (HDC) which is switch activated and stays engaged until I turn it off. It's part of the optional traction control package for automatics.

I don't have to depress the brakes to keep mine from rolling when starting and I don't have to engage HDC, essentially you drive as normal with one foot. I don't know if it is normal for trucks without HDC.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
My 4X4 automatic has Hill Descent Control (HDC) which is switch activated and stays engaged until I turn it off. It's part of the optional traction control package for automatics.

I don't have to depress the brakes to keep mine from rolling when starting and I don't have to engage HDC, essentially you drive as normal with one foot. I don't know if it is normal for trucks without HDC.
HDC is completely different from hill start assist.

·
Registered
816 Posts
No sh!t? Is this thread not originally started inquiring about an automatic? The HSA is for a manual transmission that over-rides the clutch which the original poster does not and would not have. Aren't both part of the traction control package option depending on the transmission chosen? You mention you have something on your LE, but I'm unsure if you meant the traction control or HSA. Is yours an auto? Does it roll as originally posted?

I just I thought I would mention I do not have the same thing going on with my automatic, nor do I need to turn anything on. There is a possibility the OP has the package since they note it's an LE 4X4, in which case there may be a problem worth checking, but it did not sound like it from their follow up posts.

If I had to make a guess and it was a normal situation, I would say it was possibly driveline & tranny slack being released when the pawl disengages from an e-brake since it was parked on an incline, but that would be assuming the e-brake was applied and that it was set after being put into "Park" and assuming that Nissan never changed anything from the '05 to the '07 automatic model.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
No sh!t? Is this thread not originally started inquiring about an automatic? The HSA is for a manual transmission that over-rides the clutch which the original poster does not and would not have. Aren't both part of the traction control package option depending on the transmission chosen? You mention you have something on your LE, but I'm unsure if you meant the traction control or HSA. Is yours an auto? Does it roll as originally posted?

I just I thought I would mention I do not have the same thing going on with my automatic, nor do I need to turn anything on. There is a possibility the OP has the package since they note it's an LE 4X4, in which case there may be a problem worth checking, but it did not sound like it from their follow up posts.

If I had to make a guess and it was a normal situation, I would say it was possibly driveline & tranny slack being released when the pawl disengages from an e-brake since it was parked on an incline, but that would be assuming the e-brake was applied and that it was set after being put into "Park" and assuming that Nissan never changed anything from the '05 to the '07 automatic model.
the OP certainly would have it if he has the traction package. he has an LE. it has nothing to do with a manual or the clutch in a manual. NO LE comes with a manual. the LE is standard with an auto. HSA locks the brakes for up to 2 seconds to stop a roll when going from the brake to the gas. the LE's with 4WD and the traction package comes with HSA as well as HDA which requires the truck to be in 4WD and once set controls the down hill speed without the driver having to use the brakes, the truck takes care of it by controlling the brakes itself. as far as my truck doing what the OP's did, i live in a flat area with no hills so i cant say if my truck would do it or not.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Not having a manual is why I did not mention HSA, the others and you did.

In addition, HSA makes it so you do not have to depress the clutch to start the vehicle. That frees up your left foot for braking (IIRC), but again, the OP would not have that option on their LE as I noticed in their signature.

I have used mine quite extensively on inclines & declines and can say I do not experience what the OP originally asked.

What is HDA? On my truck I have Hill Descent Control (HDC).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts