Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the new truck and plan on keeping it a long while. I've never worried about underbody rust protection as I have usually flipped cars regularly.

With the plan to keep this one I'm looking for recommendations on rust protection. What companies actually work?

Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you start to see surface rust on the frame, use a grinder with either a wire wheel or a coarse scotch brite pad to remove thw majority of the rust. If the rust is still somewhat present after this process, use a rust convertor and then top coat it with an underbody paint. If it isn't, then hit it with POR15 Bedliner.

One side note-The coarse scotch bite will leave the metal's surface too smooth for paint to stick to it, so before you coat it with anyth OK ng, rough it up with 60 grit sandpaper by hand

·
Registered
119 Posts
I used a spray on rust converter for surface rust on frame. Any thing deeper I pull out the grinder.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have used Rust-Oleum Bedliner Spray in several vehicles with great results. I will scrape/clean undercarriage/frame then soak with Dawn and pressure clean. I did remove my suspension on my Frontier prior as was replacing anyways. I did mask off other areas though as well. Wait till completely dry and blow out with area with compressed air to be sure. Do nice even coats for a durable factory look.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine is an 07 which I got all original with 64k about 3 months ago and this was first modification/job I did (the day after I got it). So mine was a great candidate and example of what a weekends work can come out as.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have used Rust-Oleum Bedliner Spray in several vehicles with great results. I will scrape/clean undercarriage/frame then soak with Dawn and pressure clean. I did remove my suspension on my Frontier prior as was replacing anyways. I did mask off other areas though as well. Wait till completely dry and blow out with area with compressed air to be sure. Do nice even coats for a durable factory look.
Still jealous how nice and clean your's is. First time I went off-roading/muddling it got super dirty....I accepted defeat and came to the sad conclusion it will stay dirty for awhile. :laugh:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Still jealous how nice and clean your's is. First time I went off-roading/muddling it got super dirty....I accepted defeat and came to the sad conclusion it will stay dirty for awhile.

I should have taken pictures before as it did not look like that beforehand. It's worth the work and definitely worth the money.

·
Premium Member
12,118 Posts
have you noticed any issues going back over bolts to remove them?
looks really well done.

·
Registered
83 Posts
have you noticed any issues going back over bolts to remove them?
looks really well done.

Thank you and no have not had a problem with that and I did remove my lower arms and exhaust hanger brackets since then with no issues...I was conscious though of spraying things like that but did coat them. I had some cardboard pieces I used as deflection in areas as well where I did want it going like on the transmission and such.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I could be wrong but I think the OP has a brand new 2017 Frontier.
Depending on what part of the country or world he is in, he could just bring it in and have it undercoated / rustproofed.
I brought mine to be rust proofed at Ziebart
Ziebart | Home

The dealer he purchased the truck from most likely has a hand shake with a place that does rust proofing / undercoating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts