Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:

Does anyone know if there is danger in upgrading to an air intake system that is not enclosed in a box when driving in a lot of rain? I live in Oregon, where it rains all the time, will the water damage my air intake?

If so, do I need to go with a volant or injen, which are covered, versus an afe, airaid, or K&N?

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
I have installed the Airaid CAI on my truck. I live in Colorado where it doesn't rain so much but we had a heavy wet snow/rain mix last week. After driving through it on my way home from work I had about an inch of wet slush caked all over the front of the truck and the hood. I let all of it melt off in my garage and then I checked the intake, it was dry as a bone. Another thing I was worried about was car washes, which were no problem either. It takes a pretty good effort to get the intake wet, there is a pretty good seal on the hood for the engine compartment. And since the whole intake tube needs to be submerged in water to create hydrolock,rain won't affect it too greatly. It won't damage the filter either since they're made to be washed/cleaned in water.

But from what I have been hearing the covered intakes may give a few more horsepower since they are seperated from the engine heat. I don't think the difference is that great to make a difference. I think you would be fine with an uncovered intake but for piece of mind and maybe (and I stress MAYBE) a few more HP you could get a covered one.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I also have an airaid I bought from david from premier trucks. I have driven in lots of rain and it does not get into the intake, it works really well. Hope this infor helps!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
i too have an uncovered intake. aFe stage II. believe or not, the last couple of weekends have been pretty wet in san diego. not a single drop on the intake or anywhere near it. i'm sure total immerssion would be needed for hydro lock but a covered intake like the volant would still choke the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A guy I know wrote off his friends Honda S2000 because he went through a puddle and the intake sucked the water into the engine...complete siezure, complete write-off.

I know these are vehicles worlds (compared the our truck) apart but it's still a scary thought.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I live in Western Canada, we get lots of rain and snow. When the snow melts we get
HUGE deep puddles. I used to always check my CAI after going
through anything big and or deep for fear I had soaked my air filter. Not once did I find
any moisture or mud on my filter.

As you can see my CAI is pretty open and i have not had any water, snow or slush
soak it yet. Unless you are crossing deep water I don't think you need be too
concerned.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Laziale said:
A guy I know wrote off his friends Honda S2000 because he went through a puddle and the intake sucked the water into the engine...complete siezure, complete write-off.

I know these are vehicles worlds (compared the our truck) apart but it's still a scary thought.
sounds like it was one of those CAIs that have the downpipe that has the filter sitting down by the wheel well or behind the front bumper. it was probably immersed in water. i dont see how splashing the CAI with even a hose can choke the engine.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Baracade it! Elimiate the possibility of getting water through the filter. If you ingest water and cause damage, you'll hate it. Then again....if you haven't beat the odds of winning the Lottto jack-pot, you might be oK.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Something else to keep in mind, our CAI's are on top of the engine, CAI's on sports cars tend to be mounted low to get the cold air close to the ground. You'd have to submerge the front half of your truck over the hood to fully emerse the intake! If you do that, you'll probably end up with more problems than just hydrolock!

Also, most of our filters are coated in oil, if you splash a small amount of water on the filter, it beads up and rolls off, it doesn't absorb into the filter material (oil and water don't mix), so the "mist" or "spray" that might make it under the hood during a hard rain or car wash would just bead up and roll off anyway!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts