Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
03 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 MT V6
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
03 CC SB v6 4x4 XE
I purchased the truck 2 years ago, and from day 1 I haven't been able to fill the tank above 3/4 full. (takes a max of 12 gallons when the gas light comes on, but doesn't ever spit gas out of the filler nozzle).
I'd love to get the full gas tank mileage range so I dropped the tank two days ago. The sending unit appears to have been replaced as it's white and not an old yellow like I've seen on some Youtube videos. I tested it with a multimeter and it goes from 81ohms at the empty position up to 5ohms when all the way up. I plugged it into the truck outside the tank, and it moves the cluster needle all the way from empty to full just like it should.
Tonight I unhooked the charcoal canister and checked all the ports by blowing compressed air through them with no issues. None of those little beads fell out of the canister or the hoses hooked up to it, so I don't believe it's bad. (purge valve tested good when hooked up to 12v)
My biggest unknown is that two of the ports going into the gas tank seem to not let air flow freely through it (see X's in attached picture).

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try?
Thank you!

EDIT: also want to note that there are no other codes in my system besides the Knock Sensor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,337 Posts
Not completely recalling when my low fuel light would come on in my old '00 XE. As far as my readings go around here, it's never a good idea to totally top-off a Nissan Frontier's fuel tank as it can very well impact the in-place emissions system = a pricey fix. Any chance your low fuel light is coming on just as it should? I know that mine in my '15 acts exactly like you're describing...light comes on w/ around 4 gal remaining in tank - meaning I can safely go another 60+ miles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that mine in my '15 acts exactly like you're describing...light comes on w/ around 4 gal remaining in tank - meaning I can safely go another 60+ miles.
Yes, the low fuel light appears to be working properly. It had just came on before I dropped the tank, and it appears to have another 3-4 gallons in the bottom. If I can only put 12 gallons in, I think that still leaves another 3-4 gallons un-accounted for, and the cluster gauge on the dash definitely shows 3/4 full even though I confirmed that the sender can theoretically make the dash gauge show as full, by plugging it in outside the tank and lifting the float up.
My guess is that the little hose with the X in the attached picture is what is clogged, but I'm not sure how that whole hose/filter system inside the tank actually works. Just to clarify, there are two little hoses that go up near the filler neck. One is completely clear, and the other with the X does not blow air through it freely.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
if I am reading this correctly, when you "fill" the tank, the gauge only reads 3/4? When removed and ohm checked, the sender checks out good?

Is the float arm metal and bendable or adjustable in some way? is the float full of fuel?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if I am reading this correctly, when you "fill" the tank, the gauge only reads 3/4? When removed and ohm checked, the sender checks out good?

Is the float arm metal and bendable or adjustable in some way? is the float full of fuel?
That's correct. The gas pump always stops filling on its own without overflowing after about 12gal when at E, and the gauge will read 3/4 full. Sender removed, and ohm checked, as well as being connected to the truck electrical outside of the tank, it reads fine, and the cluster gauge shows 100% full when I have the floater up in the full position.

The float arm is metal, but does not appear to be bent. It does read completely empty when I tilted the tank with the multimeter hooked up to the connector. The cluster gauge also starts to go down at the appropriate speed while I'm driving, so it's not like it's getting hung up at 3/4, then starts to drop after a 1/4 tank of gas is used.
EDIT: Fuel float is not full of fuel.

Someone mentioned an EVAP vapor cutoff valve could be the issue, but I believe that is inside the tank, and I'm not really sure how to remove the plastics and hoses without cutting the gas tank open. (I did test the EVAP vapor canister purge valve, and that makes the clicking noise when hooked up to 12v)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts