Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I think this happened about 6 months ago, but I didn't notice until I changed my oil this weekend. Typical offroading in the desert, bounced into a rock. It happens. Usually I just stick my head under the truck and check for anything pouring out. Missed this the first time i guess. So I've been driving for 3 or 4k miles like this with no problems, but now I'm worried. I know it's kind of a huge pain to drop and replace or repair the pan on these things.

Here's a pic:

Holding a straight edge to it, I'm guessing it's 3/8" to 1/2" deep. I've never wished more for modern* vehicles to have a factory oil pressure gauge than I do now. So dumb IMO.

So what say you?

M

* edit: And by "modern" I mean that the only two vehicles I've owned that had a proper oil pressure gauge were a 1984 RWD Corolla and a 1993 Chevy 3/4 ton van.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
If you've been driving it that way for months, and there's no oil leak - why worry about changing it out ??? What would you gain by doing that ???

There are aftermarket oil pressure gauges you could add if you really wanted to. I installed one in my VW engine in 1977, and it's still working fine (VDO gauge and sender, 12 volt).

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
It fine just leave it alone. Also there is no pressure in the oil pan. If the truck had an oil pressuse gauge that worked,it would read the same before and after the dent. Buy a skid plate to protect the oil pan.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Buy a skid plate to protect the oil pan.
Yeah - my 1998 and 2004 Frontiers have a plastic factory skid plate there to protect the engine underside !

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I haven't looked for a diagram, but I would think the oil pickup is at the lowest point so that should be safe. I've never used them so I don't know how strong they are, but could the weld on body studs be used to pull the dent? If you're really worried about or bothered by it, I'd give that a try.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't looked for a diagram, but I would think the oil pickup is at the lowest point so that should be safe. I've never used them so I don't know how strong they are, but could the weld on body studs be used to pull the dent? If you're really worried about or bothered by it, I'd give that a try.
The oil pickup is my only real concern. Maybe I'll try tacking on something and pulling it with a slide hammer.

Thanks,

M

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
No skid plate!!

I had a dented oil pan in my Z. The pickup was right there at the bottom. When the oil was cold and thick, the pump would not be able to suck up enough oil through the smaller gap left by the dent. The oil pump would cavitate and make a buzzing noise till the fluid warmed up and thinned.

I was able to fix it without removing the pan. I welded a plate to a rod. Then welded the rod to the dent. Used the side of a hammer like a slide hammer along the rod, pounded on the plate until I pulled the dent out. Did this is 2 places. Cut off rod, ground smooth. Drained oil before the welding. Then did a oil flush. Pulled the dent out about 1/2 to 3/4". Buzzing stopped.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've had the brilliant idea of using one of those inspection cameras (thanks, Harbor Freight mailer!) through the drain plug hole to see if the pickup tube is impacted at all by the dent. If it is, I'll go through the hoops of replacing or repairing the pan properly. If not, I'll just leave well enough alone. And get a skid plate... though with a 17 year old truck maybe I'll just be more careful about where I drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts