Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So I recently installed a 2.5" strut spacer lift, and as a result my upper control arm has started hitting against my strut tower. To remedy this (for much cheaper than buying new custom UCA's), I tried buying some standard bump stops from O-Reilly's, but they were too thick so I ordered some low profile ones online.

When installing, I ended up having to drill an extra hole in each UCA so that the bolt from the bump stop would fit through, and then I had to trim down the bump stops a bit so that it could fit up under the UCA. At the end, I threw some anti-seize on there and put the nut on, and now whenever I hit speed bumps or anything similar, there's no more annoying metal on metal contact!

I posted some pics below of my handiwork.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
So your pictures don't show the SPC adjustable upper control arms. I have a 2015 with the same level kit. I'm running on P265 75 17 toyo open country with Fuel rim. I noticed the same noise once I put 30K on the tires. I just put on Bilstein 4600 shocks front and rear thinking it was the noise issue. The noise became much worse due to the shocks. The shop mentioned the control arm hitting the coil bucket. But man it sound like the truck is coming apart on rough roads and sends the shock and noise through the whole frame. If you did put on the SPC control arm did the noise stop after adding the addition clearance?

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
So your pictures don't show the SPC adjustable upper control arms. I have a 2015 with the same level kit. I'm running on P265 75 17 toyo open country with Fuel rim. I noticed the same noise once I put 30K on the tires. I just put on Bilstein 4600 shocks front and rear thinking it was the noise issue. The noise became much worse due to the shocks. The shop mentioned the control arm hitting the coil bucket. But man it sound like the truck is coming apart on rough roads and sends the shock and noise through the whole frame. If you did put on the SPC control arm did the noise stop after adding the addition clearance?
I see that this is your first post. WELCOME. We are here to help you.

The OP never mentions SPC arms. He has stock nissan upper control arms. If you simply installed 4600 you should not have coil bucket contact (CBC). Did you add a spacer to the shock top? You have too many "moving targets" to try to figure out what is going on with your truck.

Post a new thread and tell us in detail what has been done and what is going on. Post pictures if you can. DO NOT buy parts and let the shop install until we can figure out what is going on with your truck.

BTW you replied to a post that is 5 years old.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for welcome! Your comment about the OP not listing/mentioning SPC arms. He listed it in his list of mods to his truck. Yes I knew the post was old but his post sound the most like my concern I’m currently having. Ultimately I’m dealing with coil bucket noise along with some other causes.
Current list of things done in the past month
New Bilstein 4600 all around replacing the original OEM shocks. I kept the OEM springs due to reading multiple reviews.
New sway bar couplers
new sway bar isolators
complete check on all ball joints and connections.
review of body mounts
So I installed the RC 2.5 level kit and wheels and tires at 27K the truck has 76K now. The noise/cluck started around 73K. Coil bucket noise is a real thing. Just jacking up the truck I can see the contact between the UCA and the CB. So I’m thinking it time for new UCA.
Any thoughts from the other owners is welcome.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Thanks for welcome! Your comment about the OP not listing/mentioning SPC arms. He listed it in his list of mods to his truck. Yes I knew the post was old but his post sound the most like my concern I’m currently having. Ultimately I’m dealing with coil bucket noise along with some other causes.
Current list of things done in the past month
New Bilstein 4600 all around replacing the original OEM shocks. I kept the OEM springs due to reading multiple reviews.
New sway bar couplers
new sway bar isolators
complete check on all ball joints and connections.
review of body mounts
So I installed the RC 2.5 level kit and wheels and tires at 27K the truck has 76K now. The noise/cluck started around 73K. Coil bucket noise is a real thing. Just jacking up the truck I can see the contact between the UCA and the CB. So I’m thinking it time for new UCA.
Any thoughts from the other owners is welcome. View attachment 317751
You never mentioned that you installed a RC2.5 in your first post; just the 4600. THe OP also must have installed the SPC UCA's after they made their post regarding the UCA bump stop.

Yes with the 4600 plus the 2.5" lift spacer5 you will indeed get coil bucket contact. Adding a bump stop will help dampen the noise. But you still still hear it. New aftermarket UCA will alleviate this. The drop stop is incorporated in the shock. Most new style UCA (like the SPC) do not have an external bump stop (like the Total Chaos). You will also gain some addtional suspension travel with the UCA.

Do note that a 2.5" and the 4600 will be longer at max compression then the space allotted. As a result you will get some shock crush at full compression. Most don't seem to care (or don't know), but it will blow out the shock prematurely. Bottom line is you do you should run some taller compression bump stops on the LCA. That is why the RC lift says not for use with the pro4x/nismo; it is because of the 4600s that come stock on the pro4x models.

PRG is one of the only companies that includes a taller bump stop. You can buy those bumps anywhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I did find that the shop assembled the front shock incorrectly. They weren’t to happy about me calling them out on the issue. Got both torn down put back together last night. Amazing how it rides when assembled correctly!
Now I’m back to chasing the original noise from the passenger side on random bumps. and this noise is welcome compared to the effects of the misassembled struts!!!
sway bar links✅
sway bar isolators ✅
Ball joints✅
body mounts✅
motor mounts✅
I have tapped and shook everything and can’t seem to find the source of the noise.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
So I did find that the shop assembled the front shock incorrectly. They weren’t to happy about me calling them out on the issue. Got both torn down put back together last night. Amazing how it rides when assembled correctly!
Now I’m back to chasing the original noise from the passenger side on random bumps. and this noise is welcome compared to the effects of the misassembled struts!!!
sway bar links✅
sway bar isolators ✅
Ball joints✅
body mounts✅
motor mounts✅
I have tapped and shook everything and can’t seem to find the source of the noise.

View attachment 318044
This happens so often. Bilstein only supplies one replacement washer, but you need 2 (reuse one of the old ones), one on the bottom and one on the top of the rubber bushing stack. In addition there is a machined spacer that is on the boot. If you a running without boot you need to cut out the spacer and use it. THe spacer fits the step in the shock shaft (It not only provides the proper spacing but fit the step properly, the washer does not provide the best fit) then the bottom washer supports the bushing so the shaft does not push through the rubber bushing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts