Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 2WD S model is getting noisy and it sounds like U-joint noise. The noise is a repetitive groan in reverse and a wow-wow noise going fwd at low speeds. The noise is in sync with driveshaft rotation. Note: not talking about the CV joints used on the front of 4WD models.

The dealership's svc department says
1) Nissan U-joints never fail and they're skeptical that mine have
2) They have never replaced U-joints, but for $500 they'll make an exception for me
3) Normally if a U-joint is damaged the whole driveshaft is replaced for $800+
4) Replacing U-joints is a job for a specialty shop
5) They would sell me the parts

I'm a 75 yr old farmboy who has seen many a U-joint on PTO shafts. If you keep them greased, they last forever. If you forget to grease them, they eventually fail and you replace them; no big deal.

But they took the grease fittings off automobile U-joints in the '50s or '60s. So then they failed at about 50 Kmiles (in my experience) but you replaced them. Now they want to replace the entire shaft. I suppose replacing the truck would make them even happier.

I seem to recall replacing U-joints myself in the past, so it may be something I can handle.

My questions are:
1) Has anyone here had their U-joints (on the rear driveshaft) fail?
2) Can failed joints be replaced?
3) How tough a job is it to replace the joints? Has anyone here done it?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had to replace my u-joints on the driveshaft 4 times over the course of 14 years and 250K miles on this Frontier. It can be done cheap and easy for anywhere from $75-150.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Never done my frontier yet, but their regular 1310 series joints that can be had anywhere for 15 bucks, time to change varies with experience, a press is nice if you have one but a big vice and hammer will suffice.And you can buy replacements with a grease zerk if you want.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I would advise you to go to a different mechanic, and stay away from the dealership.

Reactions: SoCal

·
Registered
108 Posts
Are you sure that noise isn't coming from an out of balance or damaged tire? They can make noise like that when they aren't balanced. Could also be a wheel bearing or low oil in the rear axle?

·
Registered
990 Posts
The procedure is still the same. Remove the retaining spring clip, squeeze out the old bearing cups in a press or vise, then squeeze in new ones and spider, and install the spring clip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts