Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to save up as big a deposit as possible before I place a factory order for my new truck.

Assuming the next generation is released for 2019 MY, there will be some point this year after which they'll no longer accept factory orders, and there goes my shot at ordering a D40.

Anybody know when this point usually is? If not, does anybody at least know the month that new MY Frontiers start showing up at dealerships?

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
They usually only require a $500 or so deposit.
I would place my order now.
If you don’t purchase the vehicle you ordered for some reason,You lose the deposit.
For that reason, put the minimum deposit required.

·
Premium Member
6,694 Posts
Assuming the next generation is released for 2019 MY
Do yourself a favor and don't assume that, too many people have been assuming the next-gen release for the last 4 years now LOL

Like @whistler said, just place your order now and put the minimum deposit. You don't need a huge deposit, it's not the same as a down payment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang, I typed "deposit" when i was thinking "down payment"; my bad. I want to get my head as far above the water as i can on the loan.

I only started building credit last summer, so waiting as long as possible as my score grows would also help with interest rates.

I'm aware of the yearly blue balls y'all get with the next generation but I just don't want to walk into a dealership and find out it's too late, so all things considered I'm approaching this as if 2018 is the last D40 year.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
In 2010 I did a special order, put it in on Memorial day weekend. Got it just in time for Labor day weekend. It was one of the last 2010s built. The '11s were in the pipeline when I got mine. The nice part was I got the model year end discount. Got it exactly how I wanted it, no compromises. There was only one other in the state and that dealer already had it sold before they got it. Stick shifts are the unicorns.

If you are looking for a more normally optioned truck you can probably get it sooner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome! That's the info I need.

I'm dead-set on ordering, not just to catch one with the unicorn transmission, but also because I want to sidestep the possibility that the transmission or engine were abused during test drive. That wouldn't make any difference for most people, but I keep things forever and the consequences of abuse during the break in period may not show up until over 200k miles.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
Awesome! That's the info I need.

I'm dead-set on ordering, not just to catch one with the unicorn transmission, but also because I want to sidestep the possibility that the transmission or engine were abused during test drive. That wouldn't make any difference for most people, but I keep things forever and the consequences of abuse during the break in period may not show up until over 200k miles.

You might consider picking it up at the factory. <- not even sure this is possible. Keep reading...

About a year after I picked up my factory ordered truck, a 'yayhoo' backed into my pristine SV driver's side front corner. Long story, but I figured out who it was and he confessed = his insurance paid for bodyshop repairs/paint/etc & a 10 day Ram 2500 rental truck ($3300 total cost). My bodyshop guy, a personal friend, shared that there was evidence my hood had been resprayed prior to this episode. Wha...I factory ordered??? I will never know the true story of what happened to my truck between the time it was built and when I eventually picked it up 'brand new'. By law, a dealer can address any imperfections w/o disclosing them to the buyer.
So, was my truck abused by someone coming off the delivery vessel (truck or train)?
Was it damaged during transit somehow?
I'll never know. The less I think about it - the better. :serious:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Accidents happen at the factory. During manufacture, loading, any number of steps. And they can fix the accidents. My last car, a near 50k special edition mustang, limited number built, specially prepped and wrapped, all kinds of neat special treatment, had a ding at the trunk corner that was touched up when it arrived. I was there when it was unloaded so I know it didn’t happen after it left Dearborn.

As far as break in, it’s not as important as it used to be. Rings are seated and surfaces are burnished before they are started up now. Being ran a little hard on a few test drives won’t affect anything any more.

I don’t know about picking up at Nissan factory but I know that I couldn’t pick up my mustang at the factory due to union labor rules. All vehicles that left the facility had to leave on a truck ran by the teamsters union. Still have to pay the same delivery fee even if picked up 1/2 mile away. Corvettes are the only car I know of that the maker allows it, and even then, it’s not actually at the factory. Again, union teamsters have it sewn up. The vette is loaded on the same truck that takes them to rail yards and it delivers it to the museum where you can take delivery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By law, a dealer can address any imperfections w/o disclosing them to the buyer.
This has bugged me since I found out about it a few months ago. I do understand that things can/will happen in a busy production environment or a crowded dealership lot, and I'm sure it would be impossible to enforce any sort of law requiring a "dimished value" discount (regardless of how well the repair was completed), but I just can't accept that it's fundamentally fair to the person buying the car.

Regarding the union stuff and picking it up from the factory, I'd probably get thrown out for helicoptering over every worker who touched the truck, making sure they used gloves and all kinds of other control freak stuff.

I'm aware my overall approach to this is extremely anal, but every time in the past I've been close to buying a new car, life has swooped in and slapped it out of my hands. So, considering this (AND the fact that I'll keep it until the wheels fall off, AND my automotive history dealing with lack of care by previous owners), when the time comes, I'm going to do everything i can to get it close to perfect.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Be aware that you may pay more for a special order than one you buy off the lot. Depends on the the dealer and supply / demand. So how much is a special order worth to you?

Vic

·
Premium Member
6,694 Posts
This has bugged me since I found out about it a few months ago. I do understand that things can/will happen in a busy production environment or a crowded dealership lot, and I'm sure it would be impossible to enforce any sort of law requiring a "dimished value" discount (regardless of how well the repair was completed), but I just can't accept that it's fundamentally fair to the person buying the car.

Regarding the union stuff and picking it up from the factory, I'd probably get thrown out for helicoptering over every worker who touched the truck, making sure they used gloves and all kinds of other control freak stuff.

I'm aware my overall approach to this is extremely anal, but every time in the past I've been close to buying a new car, life has swooped in and slapped it out of my hands. So, considering this (AND the fact that I'll keep it until the wheels fall off, AND my automotive history dealing with lack of care by previous owners), when the time comes, I'm going to do everything i can to get it close to perfect.
You can do everything you can but if it's not offered or available, then I hope you can accept that reality is beyond your expectations LOL

·
Premium Member
6,694 Posts
why would anyone put a deposit on a vehicle we have ZERO clue about, I mean you don't even know the price.
LOL try reading the first post and understanding the situation before making a comment

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Be aware that you may pay more for a special order than one you buy off the lot. Depends on the the dealer and supply / demand. So how much is a special order worth to you?
Already stated that I'm okay with this. Years of dealing with blown head gaskets/warped cylinder heads, snapped timing belts, butchered electrical work, spun bearings, deviously hidden rust problems, leaky clutch master cylinders, never-adjusted valve lashes, gallons of radiator stop leak (instead of just replacing your #$%@ing water pump), 25 year old brake fluid that was never changed, and incorrect oil grades have given me a profound terror of buying a vehicle that has been used AT ALL by the average modern citizen. Ideally, if I could pick a truck up straight from the factory as SVTFreak mentioned, I would cut out all the dealership workers too.

As far as break in, it’s not as important as it used to be. Rings are seated and surfaces are burnished before they are started up now. Being ran a little hard on a few test drives won’t affect anything any more.
I'm not trying to be patronizing, but would you mind pointing me to your source for that info, for these engines?

You can do everything you can but if it's not offered or available, then I hope you can accept that reality is beyond your expectations LOL
Two dealerships have told me the factories won't let them produce a CC 2WD SV 6speed with manual windows, body colored rear bumper, non-sliding back window, leather seats, locking rear diff, and the "metallic blue line" color from 2012-2014. So no worries, I've already accepted that this isn't BK and I can't have it my way.

I gotta say, I admire everybody's collective dedication to changing my mind about factory ordering. But this was a decision I made years before I decided on a Frontier itself. So if there's anybody else who can answer my original question from personal experiences, I welcome the additional info. If not, thanks to everybody who responding with good intentions.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I sure hope you plan on literally doing everything yourself to the truck cause in the end you are buying a Nissan Frontier that you plan on keeping till it dies. I realize you are set on receiving it in pristine "perfect" condition but if you dive it any you will soon realize the harsh reality that comes with owning a vehicle.

But to answer your question I would call the local dealer and ask, since they are able to do orders and will most likely be able to answer any questions about ordering.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
Devil's advocate: let's say you find someone to give you a magic date that you need to order by to get an '18...and they were wrong by a day or week or month.

To avoid wishing you ordered it yesterday, just go ahead and order it (soon)...and let the waiting game commence.

·
Premium Member
6,694 Posts
I gotta say, I admire everybody's collective dedication to changing my mind about factory ordering. But this was a decision I made years before I decided on a Frontier itself. So if there's anybody else who can answer my original question from personal experiences, I welcome the additional info. If not, thanks to everybody who responding with good intentions.
Wait... where did someone (let alone "the collective" whatever) tell you not to order? Unless I read something wrong, I'm sure someone's already said to place your order now, because that's the only real way you will know if you can get what you're looking for, if they'll do it, and how long it will take.

I understand you're trying to save up as much money as possible for a big down payment, but what's stopping you from taking whatever money you have right now and placing the order in the first place? You do realize it will take weeks to months before you get your truck (assuming they'll make it in the first place) so in the meantime you can keep saving more money. Then when the truck is delivered, just make a huge first payment with what you saved up while waiting.

That or go ask a dealer directly if there's some "cutoff"... if anyone would be more likely have an answer to what you are asking, it would be them - not a forum.

GLHF

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I sure hope you plan on literally doing everything yourself to the truck cause in the end you are buying a Nissan Frontier that you plan on keeping till it dies. I realize you are set on receiving it in pristine "perfect" condition but if you dive it any you will soon realize the harsh reality that comes with owning a vehicle.
The only things I don't do myself are having tires mounted and balanced. Please see the repairwork I listed in the post directly before yours if you doubt I'm sufficiently acquainted with the risks and responsibilities of my approach to car ownership. Depending on how important something is to somebody, they may go to pretty absurd lengths to stack the odds in their favor and eliminate uncertainties.

Devil's advocate: let's say you find someone to give you a magic date that you need to order by to get an '18...and they were wrong by a day or week or month.
Well I'm not gonna storm onto the forum pointing fingers or anything like that. When I started this thread I was hoping [however naively] that after 12 years, production time would have become pretty consistent and a good number of forum members could/would speak from experience, but I know that even well-informed bets are still... bets (especially at the very end of a generation, per my assumption).

There are other cars I'm okay with. None of them individually have all my big "wants" (brand new, manual trans, <$30K, can tow at least 4500lbs, fully usable back seat) but between my current cars I already have all those wants, so if I miss the date then I'll kick myself in the shin a few times and then move on.

Wait... where did someone (let alone "the collective" whatever) tell you not to order? Unless I read something wrong, I'm sure someone's already said to place your order now, because that's the only real way you will know if you can get what you're looking for, if they'll do it, and how long it will take.

I understand you're trying to save up as much money as possible for a big down payment, but what's stopping you from taking whatever money you have right now and placing the order in the first place? You do realize it will take weeks to months before you get your truck (assuming they'll make it in the first place) so in the meantime you can keep saving more money. Then when the truck is delivered, just make a huge first payment with what you saved up while waiting.

That or go ask a dealer directly if there's some "cutoff"... if anyone would be more likely have an answer to what you are asking, it would be them - not a forum.

GLHF
You are correct. That was an inaccurate statement made out of frustration that only one person actually gave the info I'd been looking for. It would have been fair to most of you if I had said "waiting before factory ordering."

And to address the rest of your reply (and similar advice given by others in this thread):

1) Nothing is stopping me from placing the order now; I'd love to do that! But depending on how many weeks or months it takes the truck to arrive, it could be the difference between putting down $4000 vs putting $7500 or even $10000 (very unpredictable over-time at my main job). I can and absolutely will refinance the loan a few years in, but until then I could be stuck with some uncomfortably high payments and/or an uncomfortably high interest rate.

2) After getting bounced between the salesmen at my local dealership for the past 3 days, I finally got ahold of the general manager earlier today. Notes from our conversation (spoken from his perspective):
a) The reason none of the salesmen answered your question about the deadline is because they couldn't. Factory doesn't notify the dealerships until a few weeks before new year/generation and at that point it's likely too late for custom orders.
b) I've been a manager for 23 years and have only done factory orders about 10 times. I won't refuse to do them but I really don't like to, due to the weird paperwork and the fact that as soon as the order is placed we become best friends and you call me 5 times a day asking on updates. And obviously it doesn't count toward my current monthly sales goal.
c) I can understand why you're trying to keep as many hands of the vehicle as possible but I personally feel more comfortable when the truck is already sitting on my lot and we can more easily address any issues with it.
d) Considering all of the above, and speaking from my experience and that fact that I bet aggressively, I'd say August. If you want to try July or June, I think that's what most other people would advise.

So all things considered, I'll aim for June. Thanks to those of you who remained civil, showed patience, and put effort into your advice. Even if you don't agree with my plan or reasoning, I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The only things I don't do myself are having tires mounted and balanced. Please see the repairwork I listed in the post directly before yours if you doubt I'm sufficiently acquainted with the risks and responsibilities of my approach to car ownership. Depending on how important something is to somebody, they may go to pretty absurd lengths to stack the odds in their favor and eliminate uncertainties.

Well I'm not gonna storm onto the forum pointing fingers or anything like that. When I started this thread I was hoping [however naively] that after 12 years, production time would have become pretty consistent and a good number of forum members could/would speak from experience, but I know that even well-informed bets are still... bets (especially at the very end of a generation, per my assumption).

There are other cars I'm okay with. None of them individually have all my big "wants" (brand new, manual trans, <$30K, can tow at least 4500lbs, fully usable back seat) but between my current cars I already have all those wants, so if I miss the date then I'll kick myself in the shin a few times and then move on.

You are correct. That was an inaccurate statement made out of frustration that only one person actually gave the info I'd been looking for. It would have been fair to most of you if I had said "waiting before factory ordering."

And to address the rest of your reply (and similar advice given by others in this thread):

1) Nothing is stopping me from placing the order now; I'd love to do that! But depending on how many weeks or months it takes the truck to arrive, it could be the difference between putting down $4000 vs putting $7500 or even $10000 (very unpredictable over-time at my main job). I can and absolutely will refinance the loan a few years in, but until then I could be stuck with some uncomfortably high payments and/or an uncomfortably high interest rate.

2) After getting bounced between the salesmen at my local dealership for the past 3 days, I finally got ahold of the general manager earlier today. Notes from our conversation (spoken from his perspective):
a) The reason none of the salesmen answered your question about the deadline is because they couldn't. Factory doesn't notify the dealerships until a few weeks before new year/generation and at that point it's likely too late for custom orders.
b) I've been a manager for 23 years and have only done factory orders about 10 times. I won't refuse to do them but I really don't like to, due to the weird paperwork and the fact that as soon as the order is placed we become best friends and you call me 5 times a day asking on updates. And obviously it doesn't count toward my current monthly sales goal.
c) I can understand why you're trying to keep as many hands of the vehicle as possible but I personally feel more comfortable when the truck is already sitting on my lot and we can more easily address any issues with it.
d) Considering all of the above, and speaking from my experience and that fact that I bet aggressively, I'd say August. If you want to try July or June, I think that's what most other people would advise.

So all things considered, I'll aim for June. Thanks to those of you who remained civil, showed patience, and put effort into your advice. Even if you don't agree with my plan or reasoning, I do appreciate it.
You seem to have conflicting statements about yourself being so tedious with work done to your vehicles. Maybe not everyone notices but of all places tire shops usually have the highest employee turn around rate vs a dealership or factory. You say you would be hovering over workers building the vehicle at the factory yet you are fine with a tire shop mounting and balancing. IDK man I'd like to think you are going about it in the right direction but you seem to be over thinking it a bit too much ;) and if your general manager has only done that many special orders I would look at another dealership. I worked for General Motors for 5 years as the internet manager and we routinely would "special order" vehicles. I would always suggest that to my customers who were very particular about what the want. In the end everyone was happy the customer got what they want and I would call and let them know any updates as it was getting built. As far as the sales person not being able to answer a simple question of order should have been an indicator to look at a different dealership, either that or you came off as all talk no go buyer to whomever you initially spoke with. Not saying that's the situation but I've been around sales people enough to know how they operate. My advice go order what you want from a dealer that will have no problem doing so. Down payment wise you are looking roughly at your payment going down approximately $20 for every thousand you put down. Doing financing through your own bank which will give you best possible interest rate. Unless Nissan has a special 0% on the frontier which would be hard to say because it will be whatever promos are going on at the time of delivery. With a variable income with over time that means you can pay more if you like and not be penalized for it. Baised on what you have said you have little car buying experience, feel free to pm me any questions you might have and I will do my best to advise you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,694 Posts
Factory doesn't notify the dealerships until a few weeks before new year/generation and at that point it's likely too late for custom orders.
If what the manager said above is true, and Nissan decides to notify their dealerships tomorrow, then guess what? There goes your "aim for June" target... there goes your "special order"... and if you want a D40 you'll be left choosing what's on the dealer lot.

Are you aware that a deposit for a not-yet-built special order is not the same as the down payment when it comes time to finance once the vehicle is ready for sale?

Your replies feel make it feel like this the first vehicle you've ever purchased from a dealership. But anyhow, you seem to have a plan set in stone in your head - regardless of if it's actually possible, regardless of whatever advice we've given in our replies.

I agree with @v1ru5 - you're overthinking it.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts