Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 4cly
Looks like a dealer installed A/C system. Not Factory.
The under hood tag says Type "R" oil for the system.
What is type "R"???????
Also printed is "PAG0R" and "KLH00".

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found it.....
PAG 100 Nissan Compressors KLH00-PAGR0 (Type R) Yellow color Type R = Rotory Vane Compressor
Also found this for reference......
PAG 46 Nissan Compressors KLH00-PAGS0 (Type S )Yellow color Type S = Swash Plate Compressor
PAG 46 Nissan Compressors KLH00-PAGQU (Type F)Yellow color Ford - FX15, FS10 Compressors

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
The systems that dealers installed back then, if it was a genuine Nissan A/C kit, would be practically identical to the factory system. I doubt that I would be able to tell them apart looking at one, keeping in mind that I worked for Nissan for 16 years and used to install them. Now, that's not to say a dealer couldn't install some aftermarket A/C kit, but, it wouldn't make any sense to do it as they probably could get the Nissan kit at a better cost and it would be covered under the remaining 3-year/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The switch panel looks plan from pictures I've see on the web.
Couldn't find a picture of the compressor mount on the web, but the one one the truck looks like an aftermarket welded mount.
I'm not sure if it is factory or dealer installed.
It has the under hood sticker.
Works well, just needs some gas. I want to put a small can of oil just to be safe.
Don't see any leaks. Looks to not have been worked on at all.
Guy I got it from said me never charged it.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
Unless you are replacing a component, I would leave the oil alone. If you insist on adding oil, I wouldn't add more than an ounce. Too much oil can cause problems. Just used Ester oil, which is a synthetic oil and is compatible with PAG oils.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/images/editor/color.gif

Rule #1: NEVER add anything with sealers or leak fix to an AC system, will kill it !!! Refrigerant, right type and amount of refrigerant oil, and some UV dye is acceptable !!!

Rule #2: See Rule #1 above.

Works well, just needs some gas.
If it "works well", I'd leave it alone.

Works well, just needs some gas. I want to put a small can of oil just to be safe.
Don't see any leaks. Looks to not have been worked on at all. Guy I got it from said me never charged it.
If it works "just OK", you may just have lost a small amount of refrigerant over time, and addition of some R134a would be justified. About 5 years ago, my untouched AC system in my '98 Frontier needed about 6 oz. R134a at about 190K miles, Arizona heat. That sufficed until last week when the high pressure hose developed a pinhole and I had to replace that line.

My untouched AC system in my 2004 Frontier needed R134a about a month ago, for the first time.

Note that typically a system will lose - by design - a tiny amount of refrigerant through the compressor seal to keep it lubricated, and "just needing a re-charge" every several years through attrition can happen (like in my instance), but more often a larger leak would be the reason, and a component would need to be repaired/replaced.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
The high pressure hose attached to the compressor is a pretty common point of failure on these trucks. Look for signs of oil around the crimps if you are slowly losing refrigerant.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
The high pressure hose attached to the compressor is a pretty common point of failure on these trucks. Look for signs of oil around the crimps if you are slowly losing refrigerant.
That's where I first noticed the pinhole, in the rubber hose, at 219.5K miles. My replacement line/hose leaked at the connection to the compressor, around the O-ring, described in my thread http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/1998-frontier-thread-179905/index5.html page 4 and page 5. This might have been accelerated by my fan clutch being bad causing higher pressures than optimal and I didn't notice as AC was still cold, and engine coolant hadn't gone up from its normal spot.

smj999smj - can you review my issue with the hose fittings not being fitting 100% flush in my thread and comment, thanks?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A/C needs a little gas.
Low side at 50, high 125, at idle.
Sealer is death to auto A/C systems.
They should be banned.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts