Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my truck was sitting from about a week and my wife used it to go to Home improvement store. She came home and said my truck smelled like hay in a barn. Better check cabin air filter, found a large mouse nest and a dead mouse, (believed to have died during the heater use). Replaced filters, two weeks later HVAC started smelling funky again. Found another mouse nest no mouse. After installing new cabin filter again, I snook a packet of this Magic mouse on top of the filters. NO MICE since then :) But it had a very minty smell the first couple times, almost knock you down. But its' scent has died down quite a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
Wow! Those mice suck they got to my old Cuda's seat foam and went into the frame rails to make a nest. Hopefully that magic mouse works if not get some cats to take care of them.

Reactions: Blue Devil

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
what the hell

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Not surprised - if it's cold they will make their way into your A/C system too. With my old 1st Gen Fronty, which I parked outside in the driveway found the A/C running rough and making noise. The mechanic pulled out a bundle of black and red microfiber and he said was quite common up north; that year we were in the 20's and 30's for about a week or so (yep in FL). I knew exactly what it is was from - a blanket stored on a shelf in the garage with a nice hole in it; they went from the garage into the truck parked in the driveway - resilient little suckers.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Piece of metal mesh secured to the top of the vent intake could help prevent this, what I don't understand is how they're getting under the cowl in the first place.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Mice in the filter and blower are very common up my way. There is nothing you can do to stop a mouse if it is determined to get somewhere. I have seen them squeeze through an opening the size of a dime. And if there is no opening they will make one. They chew through just about everything.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
If they chew through a metal mesh (after squeezing through the cowl openings to begin with), then they earned it. LOL

We had a similar issue with mice trying to get into the house through the laundry dryer vent. After putting a piece of metal mesh (decent thickness, not the flimsy screen door mesh) on the outdoor vent opening, problem solved.

But seriously - The cowl openings for the fresh air to vent through, have you even tried putting metal mesh there first? Maybe you should try it and see what happens, instead of just not doing anything and assuming the mouse will get in regardless.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If they chew through a metal mesh (after squeezing through the cowl openings to begin with), then they earned it. LOL

We had a similar issue with mice trying to get into the house through the laundry dryer vent. After putting a piece of metal mesh (decent thickness, not the flimsy screen door mesh) on the outdoor vent opening, problem solved.

But seriously - The cowl openings for the fresh air to vent through, have you even tried putting metal mesh there first? Maybe you should try it and see what happens, instead of just not doing anything and assuming the mouse will get in regardless.
Metal mesh is your best bet. I used steel wool before. Just loaded up a hole with it. It worked, but just like my point they found another way. I agree though, do anything and everything you can to keep them away from the truck. They will start to chew on wires and cause all sorts of havoc besides a stinky cabin.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
I just came up with like 4 DIYs to solve this problem in my head just now, except I won't do them because I don't have a rodent problem with my truck LOL

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
or Cats

·
Registered
801 Posts
I had a mouse take the firewall matting and make nest underneath the plastic intake cover. He tore the firewall to shreds. That was when I drove a work truck everyday and the fronty would sit for weeks on end.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
I would rather the mice than cats. Disgusting creatures lol. Hopefully the repellents work for everyone. A big help I found is to not store any food near the vehicle. Especially grass and bird seed. The mice love this stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
I've seen mice/squirrels chew through sheetmetal to get where they want to go. I have a seasonal fight with them (squirrel) as they like to store acorns in my car's headliner... peppermint oil or mothballs seem to be the only thing that will deter them... and no, a cat doesn't do it either. They take out 1 or 2 a day, there's hundreds, maybe thousands in the neighborhood... and I (wife's) have a cat... as does several of the neighbors... so unless you keep the cat in the car/truck, then you're cleaning up cat urine... never ending cycle...

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
MOAR CATS lol jk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Peppermint oil helps repell them also.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
That's basically what the Mouse Magic is.

raine where are the cowl openings. I wanted to figure out where they were getting in. The Mouse Magic is doing the trick though.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Not surprised - if it's cold they will make their way into your A/C system too. With my old 1st Gen Fronty, which I parked outside in the driveway found the A/C running rough and making noise. The mechanic pulled out a bundle of black and red microfiber and he said was quite common up north; that year we were in the 20's and 30's for about a week or so (yep in FL). I knew exactly what it is was from - a blanket stored on a shelf in the garage with a nice hole in it; they went from the garage into the truck parked in the driveway - resilient little suckers.
HVAC is your A/C system Bommer32

i've seen mice/squirrels chew through sheetmetal to get where they want to go. I have a seasonal fight with them (squirrel) as they like to store acorns in my car's headliner... Peppermint oil or mothballs seem to be the only thing that will deter them... And no, a cat doesn't do it either. They take out 1 or 2 a day, there's hundreds, maybe thousands in the neighborhood... And i (wife's) have a cat... As does several of the neighbors... So unless you keep the cat in the car/truck, then you're cleaning up cat urine... Never ending cycle...
lol

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I would rather the mice than cats. Disgusting creatures lol. Hopefully the repellents work for everyone. A big help I found is to not store any food near the vehicle. Especially grass and bird seed. The mice love this stuff.
I don't like the disgusting creatures remark towards cats. But your info about not storing food in the garage or around the vehicle is a good tip. My truck is outdoors with no food around it. The shed is a good 50ft or so from it, birdfood is stored in sealed containers and I haven't had them get in those yet.

MOAR CATS lol jk
LOL I have 7 cats but they all are indoors only. I think it's inhumane to have outdoor cats if you live near busy roads. And people like robj80 might shoot them on his property just for the heck of it ;)

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
raine where are the cowl openings. I wanted to figure out where they were getting in. The Mouse Magic is doing the trick though.
...under the cowl.

You know the plastic panel right behind the hood, where the wipers are coming out from? That's your cowl. Remove the wipers, remove the antenna trim piece, pop off the cowl, and you'll see a large, open, unobstructed metal opening on the right side of the truck next to the antenna. If you can peek straight down the metal opening (it's big, IIRC 5x6"-ish rounded rectangle) guess what you'll see? The top of your cabin filter. It's like right there out in the open. That metal opening is the HVAC intake.

I don't have a pic of just the intake, but this photo shows you where it is:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, thanks. That's a big hole, wonder how their getting under the cowl? Or just through the wiper arm hole maybe?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts