Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my truck almost 3 days now, time to start fixing this audio system. It's not terrible for OEM, but after coming from my last car - this thing is horrid.

(Non RF stereo, crew cab, 6 speaker)

The OEM tweeters in dash - is the crossover/bass-blocker for them in-line or is it built into the tweeter? I will be replacing them, but probably not with a component set - so I need to know if I need to order a separate crossover along with the speakers, of if the crossover is left in-line after removing the OEM tweeter.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
there is no cross over nor a bass block. they are run right off the front speaker leads.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My 08' KC's Blaupunkt tweeters had caps soldered on em'..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there is no cross over nor a bass block. they are run right off the front speaker leads.

Wow. Is that possible? Even my 2002 Elantra had passive crossovers installed in-line. It didn't come with tweeters, but all I had to do was add some to the OEM wiring and I was all set.

I'm guessing there has to be some sort of capacitor built into the tweeter. If there weren't it would blow very quickly.

·
Registered
318 Posts
They are sort of built into the tweeter itself:

My Pioneer tweeters came with the crossover/bass blocker wired in-line so all you had to do was unplug the stock tweeter, cut off the connector and wire in the new tweeters. It didn't take long at all.

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
I went the exact same route as Boomer. And my stock nonRF tweeters also had the cap.
I have not replaced the 6x9s yet, but if the stock system has a 1st order crossover shouldn't there be an inductor on the 6x9s?

Anyone know if there is an inductor on the stock 6x9 (nonRF)?
From the schematic the RF systems have separate feeds from the amp to the front speakers, but do have the same parallel set up for the 6.5-tweeter in the back.

UPDATE
replaced my stock 6x9s and there is NO low pass filter on them. I have yet to add one, but will.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This thread is relevant to my interests. I have some JBL 6.5" speakers up front, and the stock tweeters. I'd like to replace the factory tweets, and possibly put some 6x9's in the front crossed over both high and low after I get my sub in.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I updated my previous reply and would recommend you see my POST on Front speakers.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I have the base system (non-RF) system in my '06 SE CC and am installing Infinity 1011t's. My factory tweeters have been removed for several days while I fabricate some brackets for the new tweeters. The factory tweeters are so bad that I hear no change whatsoever in the sound quality with them removed!

By the way, finding the tweeter wire polarity was no sweat. The leads to both sides have a blue wire and it's the negative per my factory service manual.

Left Front ---- Green = + and Blue = -
Right Front ---- White = + and Blue = -

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Finished installing the Infinity tweeters today I got from Patrick and there is a definite sound improvement over the factory (non RF) system. My system is otherwise stock. So, if anyone is wondering if a tweeter upgrade alone will result in better sound, the answer is YES. I won't win any auto/truck stereo system contests, but I like the result and it was worth the effort. Thanks again Patrick!! :)

By the way, to make the hookup easier, I used a modeler's saw to cut the female receptacles off the side of the factory tweeters, then soldered them to the new tweeter wires on the comfort of a workbench surface. This way I avoided trying to solder things cramped up in the corner where the tweeters live.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts