Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with a friend of mine the other day who just bought him a 2018 frontier and I was telling him that my Frontier had a wide turning radius, which is the only complaint I have about my truck, and he said that it's because mine is a 4wheel drive. Is that true that a 4X4 has a wider turning radius that a 2 wheel drive?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
And the turning radius is really no different than any other mid sized truck with the same wheelbase.
Xterra turns sharper, but that is the wheelbase that does it.

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
Please look this up if able, but the 4x2 is actually a couple of inches GREATER in turning radius than 4x4.
I used to use nissanproduct.info as my resource of choice...but my Safari firewall shoots me a warning now in that they've not renewed their 'certificate'...or whatever.

Reactions: gagatch

·
Registered
183 Posts
Expected a real horrible turning issue when we traded our X for a Frontier. No issue, about what expected for a truck. Not as bad as my full sized work trucks and vans.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I really was surprised with the frontier turning radius. I have a 4x2 and thought it would be better than a 4x4 due to the 4x4 cv joints. Funny thing, my wife's maxima has a far better turning radius even with the front wheel drive cv joints.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I really was surprised with the frontier turning radius. I have a 4x2 and thought it would be better than a 4x4 due to the 4x4 cv joints. Funny thing, my wife's maxima has a far better turning radius even with the front wheel drive cv joints.
Maxima has a shorter wheelbase.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was talking with a friend of mine the other day who just bought him a 2018 frontier and I was telling him that my Frontier had a wide turning radius, which is the only complaint I have about my truck, and he said that it's because mine is a 4wheel drive. Is that true that a 4X4 has a wider turning radius that a 2 wheel drive?
I had 2019 4x2 traded it for 2019 4x4 I do not see any difference between them.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I've never understood the "issue" people have with the turning radius. Granted, it should be much better for this size of vehicle, but I've never once had a problem with it; certainly not in town or parking lots, etc, perhaps on tight trails offroad it can sometimes be a challenge, but that affects a small percent of frontier owners, yet I hear this complaint a lot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have owned several 3/4 ton trucks for towing 5th wheel trailers that have a smaller turning radius than my frontier. Backing into a tight camper spot at our campground takes a little jogging front and back with the frontier that I never had to do with my old f350

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've owned a 2010 Frontier and currently have a 2017. Both 4x4. I swear I think the turning radius is worse on the '17 than it was on the '10. That said, it could just be selective memory on my part. It's the only thing I don't like about my truck. My wife's car is a Pathfinder, and I swear that thing can turn around inside of itself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The turning radius is objectively bad on the Frontier. It’s a weak spot IMO. The Tacoma and Ranger both have tighter turning. I have the CCLB and it’s atrocious. My ‘89 3/4 ton diesel long bed was about the same.

And for the Frontiers: turning radius is the same regardlessof 2wd vs 4WD. On my old Ford TTBthe 2wd turned noticeably tighter than 4WD.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts