Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm asking if any of you feel that your 4banger frontier has a larger turn radious than you expected?:frown:
I have a stock 06 XE with aforementioned 2.5 two wheel drive, including the tire size, no mods. It replaced my 95 hardbody XE.

Its been almost six months since I purchased this truck, and this is my only complaint/concern. It takes a lot more wheel effort to get into tight places. Meaning more turns of the wheel/effort to get response in the turning department. Its like the steering wheel is too small...something I wasn't expecting or didn't feel out initially.

I'm gauging this on the other two Nissans I have an altima and a maxima. I guess its just me, the wife doesn't really have an opinion or can't tell.:angel:

I'm asking your thoughts or ideas on this concern.:nerd:

·
Registered
549 Posts
All the second Gen Fronty's seem to have a somewhat common issue of steering tightness and feeling of a large turn radius than average. They do turn about the same as a full size truck from what I have seen some others comment, but I think what makes it feel worse is the stiffness of the steering system compared to many other vehicles. I can't speak for everyone but my steering is not able to really be turned as easily as many other trucks and cars that I have owned in the past when I am trying to park. My full size Dodge 1500 (both of them) could easily be turned with one finger hooked in the "crook" of the steering wheel. Same with my old Chevy Cruze and my current 85 Jimmy as well as my past 77 Jimmy. I had a 68 Bronco with a manual steering box that was actually easier to turn but then again that had a steering wheel the size of a wheel itself. The Cruze had the electrical assist so that is an easy explanation, but consider this, I had to turn the steering in my Project Jimmy when it had no motor, so I could move it around the garage and stuff, and when in that state, at a dead stand still, it is actually easier to turn than the power assisted rack and pinion in my Frontier sitting at a dead stop, while running. I was kind of surprised to find that. I read a report a few weeks ago that give a lot of thumbs down on the Frontier steering, saying that it felt clumsy, stiff, and not well sorted, and also really handled poorly, even when attempting to drive in a straight line (but that may have been attributed more to wind and bad aero) I would have to agree. I just drove to Shreveport from Dallas and back today and the wind was gusting pretty good and I have to admit it makes driving the truck a miserable experience. I've had the steering checked, alignment is within spec, tires are still have a few thousand miles before the wear strip breaks even with the tire, and I've had it serviced at the dealership to the point where they even changed the camber bolts, so I don't believe their is anything mechanically wrong with the truck, but I know its particularly sensitive to grooved pavement as well as the wind. I think of all the things I love about my Frontier, the steering is the one thing I am most disappointed with, and if it wasn't for that I'd have zero complaints overall.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I just came from an 09 Ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 to a 16Pro4x. (I know, its not a four banger). I can tell you that the turn circle in the Frontier is so much better than the Ram was.
The Frontier is a bit bigger than the Toyota or GMC twins. imo, it is not an issue. For once I can actually park in shopping parking lots without having to do a two to three point turn. lol.

I have found the Frontier to be ok in steering and drivability. No issues running down the highway or dirt roads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts