Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate this to be my first post but I am having trouble with it starting sometimes. I have a 2016 SV V6 4x4 crewcab ,bought it about a year ago with 5000 miles on it. First month I had it was out shopping and it would not start ,turn the key and nothing would happen eventually after about 15 min it would start,this happen twice . While looking through the owners manual I found a work order ,the previous owner had same problem but they could not duplicate it so they did not fix. It stopped doing it for about 9 months so I thought it had gone away but I take my first long trip in it and it happen again took about 15 min and it started . On the way home stopped to get gas was getting back on the highway and went to hit the gas and it died ,was on the side of the highway for hr and a half,tow truck got there he said let him try . It starts right up lol . Going to take it to dealership tomorrow,has me pissed off love the truck but can't stand not knowing if it will start. Anybody have this problem ?would love some help.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,804 Posts
That is such a difficult symptom to try to diagnose over the internet. Sounds electrical to me - somehow the ECM isn't getting power intermittently. Perhaps a poor ground or power wire? I had an issue with a crumbling ground inside the ECM box when my truck was only 18 months old. Nissan only warranties electrical for 1 year.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had that problem with my '02 Pathfinder, I replaced the battery (because it was time) and the ignition. The problem went away after that, but I'm betting it was the ignition. All of my fuses were fine, my buddy sat in the truck turned the key and said "get an ignition switch."

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
When it happens again you need to look for a red key icon on the dash. That is the security icon. If that is on, it won't start. The 2016 won't even crank if that security light is on.

If the light isn't on, hold the key in start and cycle the shifter through the gears. There is a neutral start switch that can prevent the starter from engaging as well.

Stick shift? You have the clutch pedal completely on the floor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
V8 man I think it is something to do with security . In the owners manual it says hold key in start position for 10 seconds then back for 5 then repeat . It worked 2 times but this last time I could not get it to work. Will try shifting through the gears next time thanks(hopefully there will be no next time lol)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I know it's a newer truck, but it sounds like a problem a few of us have had on the earlier 2nd gens. The crank position sensor will cause this and not throw a code. Easy to replace. Pull the pass front wheel, use a phillips screw driver and pull the plastic liner.
You'll need a 3/8 drive ratchet and a couple 6"-8" extentions and a 10mm socket. You'll see the sensor at the back of the side of the engine. There is a rubber boot over the plug and 10mm bolt. You can remove the plug now or after you pull sensor. I think easier after as you need to use a flat blade screw driver to push the locking tab back toward the plug. Takes about an hr total.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
There was a ECU relay recall that would produce similar issues. But I think that was cured in 2007. Mine was recalled for it, but I never had any issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you checked your battery terminals? Exact same thing happened to me after I replaced my battery for a Yellowtop, negative terminal was loose and perhaps wasn't making perfect contact every time, had to do a bit of bending with a pair of pliers to get it to fit/tighten right. No problem since so might be as simply as that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
...... Stick shift? You have the clutch pedal completely on the floor?
Good questions. Could also be that one of the clutch interlock switches has gone bad. Both failed in my '06, though not at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts