Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I can fix anything petrol but this is my 1st diesel.........

I am noticing more and more smoke coming out of the exhaust on hard take offs.............what do I need to have serviced to fix this issue?

Ozroder

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hey guys, I can fix anything petrol but this is my 1st diesel.........

I am noticing more and more smoke coming out of the exhaust on hard take offs.............what do I need to have serviced to fix this issue?

Ozroder
What color is the smoke? Check your fuel/water separator or fuel filter, then check your air filter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is it when its cold when it happens if so thats not uncommon all diesels blow a certain amount of smoke Blacks fuel, Blue/grey oil nothing much to worry about most common thing is blocked air filter.I wouldnt worry to much if its running ok and doing all the right things.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Definiteley Genuine Question bro......................motor runs fine, just more and more smoke starting to show up on take off up to 3rd gear......

Just want to know if injectors need servicing or something like that..........

A/C near new, meticulous oil changes cause I do them myself...............run redline oil everywhere except engine..............

Just pizzing me off blowing more smoke than I used too............

Ozroder

·
Registered
34 Posts
done a reset lately??? Might be worth a go especially coming into the cooler weather.

Make sure you do it when motor is warm etc too.

Worth a shot

·
Registered
378 Posts
Definiteley Genuine Question bro......................motor runs fine, just more and more smoke starting to show up on take off up to 3rd gear......

Just want to know if injectors need servicing or something like that..........

A/C near new, meticulous oil changes cause I do them myself...............run redline oil everywhere except engine..............

Just pizzing me off blowing more smoke than I used too............

Ozroder
You still didn't tell us what color the smoke is. Anyway, if it's black, check the air filter and or for a boost leak. If it's blue smoke, you may want to check the turbo. Anyway, taking off from a light, especially if you got your foot in the throttle and are pulling a heavy load, the amount of smoke may very well be normal for what your asking the truck to do, so long as it clears up, once you get going.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Could be dirty fuel...something as simple as that.....

Could be as simple as winter blend....haven't been anywhere near the mountains lately have you?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Could be dirty fuel...something as simple as that.....

Could be as simple as winter blend....haven't been anywhere near the mountains lately have you?
I was going to say something about the fuel blend, then maybe again, he may have got a batch of bad fuel too. Good call ants_oz!

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fuel is purchased locally around Melbourne, smoke is black always.........engine has 96,000k now.......................

I figured it would simply be an injector clean up etc................

I am running the D-Chip, so might pull that off and see what gives.........

Guys I have been away from the forum for a while...............what is the reset thingy?

Ozroder

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
You can reset the injectors and pump on them, quick explantion, disconnect neg terminal on battery, turn key on for ten seconds to drain all power, check for zero voltage with multi meter, hook back up and bobs your uncle, reset!!

There is a good thread on it on the uk navara site and the aussie one that explains the whole deal, did it to mine the other weekend and it made my injectors alot quieter cause it resets there pressures

Also try blocking off the egr valve, that makes a big difference too, mine is no where near as bad after the reset and block off

link to u.k site

Nissan-Navara.net • Login

link to aussie one

D40 Fuel Economy - Page 27 - The Navara Forum

hope this helps

cheers sean

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks to each of you for your help with my issue...........always great guys on this forum.............taught me many things about my Narvy, escpecially on how to mod it the first time...........

I will try the reset thing and see what happens...........dependant on weather......I will also try to block the egr........

Thanks guys, Ozroder

·
Registered
619 Posts
Like you I was sick of the black smoke and I had always thought that this was unburned fuel how this was not the case , the EGR on our Nav's is an evil thing , mate block it off and all the crap will be gone and the faster spool up is a bonus

Marty

·
Registered
99 Posts
Blocking the EGR

Like you I was sick of the black smoke and I had always thought that this was unburned fuel how this was not the case , the EGR on our Nav's is an evil thing , mate block it off and all the crap will be gone and the faster spool up is a bonus. Marty
Marty, is it a simple job to block the EGR? (haven't done a site search yet) My warranty is almost up, but is it easy for the dealer to tell that it has been done?
Cheers Moorie.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yes mate real simple , take the two bolts out o the drivers side remove the gasket and use it as a templet , I used 1.2mm S/steel for mine took all of 20min from start to finish that included cutting the block off plate , use the original gasket on the pipe side and slide the new plate behind the gasket install bolts job done and Nissan wont know its even there there is a good thread here read all of it

Cheers Marty

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Go the reset Mark
I dont have an oiler but I hear it does wonders for them

How you been anyway Mark been a damm long time between posts .

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello Guys, thanks heaps Martin, I somehow new you would chime in here.........and Aussie I am doing well bro..............no new cancer cells so in remission and feeling good!

Just went through a peak period on the 3.2B project I am on so been busy as h.ll.........

Been toying with a 2008 Fatboy 103" build.............and the wife just bought me a 2010 ElectraGlide Ultra Limited Ed. 103" Harley in Vivid black / Black Pearl Ice.

Its sure funny this...............I am a technical rep on a number of Harley forums and have built some monster engines and been involved in the motorcycle race scene from open class to superbike as its called now and been active toolin for a big name drag race team yet I know nothing about Diesel engines ha ha ha!

Ozroder

1 - 17 of 17 Posts