Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting new wires, A3 spark plugs, rotor and cap on my 2002. Started doing the wires, and both 2 and 4 left the metal connector from the wire on the plug. Was able to get them off without to much trouble with my 12" needle nose.
Here's my dilemma, I'm more worried about the connector staying on number six than I am about the plug, I don't think I could get my pliers back there. The piece that is left on the plug makes it to deep to take out the plug with any deep well I have seen.

My question is can I change the other five with new, and wait till spring to do the last one. I just changed a leaking valve cover gasket passenger side, left isn't leaking yet, but I know it's just a matter of time. I will have to take the upper plenum off to do that, which will make taking care of 6 wire and plug a lot easier, but didn't want to take that until next year.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Before I changed all six plugs on my daughter's 1998 Pathfinder, I did some reading about the dreaded #6. I saw where quite a few folks decided that if the other 5 plugs looked OK, that they ignored #6.

I actually had more trouble getting the wire connectors off (all were OK) than getting the plugs out. I used a mirror, two 3-inch extensions, maybe a universal too, and a mirror and flashlight to line stuff up straight. I put down a towel and laid on the engine, did NOT remove the hood either.

I didn't have my wobbly extensions then, they might have helped.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I knew that some ignored the #6, and actually there's only about 50,000 on these plugs. My concern and I don't think I have one, is if I keep the OEM #6, will there be any problem with the 5 - A3 Diamond Fire and the one OEM. Like I said, I know I have to take the upper Plenum off at some time, and #6 would be a piece of cake then. I have a few friends that swear by these A3 plugs for a slight boost in HP and mileage.

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
I never use anything but NGK spark plugs, ignition wires and genuine Nissan cap & rotor. I've seen too many problems with non-NGK spark plugs and other ignition non-Nissan components used in these engines when I worked for Nissan; everything from intermittent misfires to a piston burned through on the top edge.
As far as the #6 wire, it's best to use spark plug wire pliers, like the attached picture shows. For the plug, I use a Snap-on Tools 5/8" spark plug socket with built-in universal and 3" extension. I attack a 3/8" universal to that followed by a 10" locking extension and a ratchet. I wrap the universal with electrical tape to keep it from coming apart when removing the tool. I lower the tool down with my right hand and use my left hand to guide it onto the spark plug in the engine. As far as installing five new plugs and one later, I wouldn't. If #6 is okay to leave in until you pull the plenum for the valve cover gasket, then just leave them all in until you replace the gasket. If the other spark plugs are in a state that they all need to be replaced now, then you can be sure that #6 needs to be replaced now, as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, I liked the electrical tape trick on the sockets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts