Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently decided to take the bedliner out for the first time in 15 years, and use Duraliner roll on. I knew I had some rust from working on the EVAP system. My plan was to use existing good part of the bed to make a mold. I taped down some aluminum foil (next time I would find the heaviest foil I could) and applied several layers of fiberglass, cut the excess off and had my panel. Epoxied it in and fiberglassed over that and rolled on the liner.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Recently decided to take the bedliner out for the first time in 15 years, and use Duraliner roll on. I knew I had some rust from working on the EVAP system. /Users/donaldschwartz/Desktop/100_0642.jpg
My plan was to use the existing good part of the bed for a fiberglass mold and make a repair panel/Users/donaldschwartz/Desktop/100_0643.jpg/Users/donaldschwartz/Desktop/100_0645.jpg/Users/donaldschwartz/Desktop/100_0647.jpg
This is the repair panel finished/Users/donaldschwartz/Desktop/100_0648.jpg
Epoxied in place/Users/donaldschwartz/Desktop/100_0649.jpg
And finished
plz insert the pictures properly as i am only able to see them as unclickable links. thanks as i am interested::grin::::wink::

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I don't know how to build a how to thread, apparently.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
A couple more, total cost was $120. I did grind and sand all surface rust and treated with locktite rust converter. I'm hoping to take the bed off this summer and do the underside.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
nice job, when i was search for a 1st gen last month, all i could find are ones with rotted out beds because of the liner, but there was one truck at a dealer in a bad neighborhood that i kept dismissing because it looked bad in the pictures and the area, but as it turned it is had a solid bed (some rust, but no holes yet) and the liner was removed by one of the previous owners. I now own that said truck and am looking to bed line it in the next few weeks. Any reason why you went with that brand over any other brand? there so so many options out there. I've personally been looking at the herculiner kit on amazon.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice job, when i was search for a 1st gen last month, all i could find are ones with rotted out beds because of the liner, but there was one truck at a dealer in a bad neighborhood that i kept dismissing because it looked bad in the pictures and the area, but as it turned it is had a solid bed (some rust, but no holes yet) and the liner was removed by one of the previous owners. I now own that said truck and am looking to bed line it in the next few weeks. Any reason why you went with that brand over any other brand? there so so many options out there. I've personally been looking at the herculiner kit on amazon.
Just did a lot of research, and they looked like the best for the money I got mine for $60 shipped from Groupon. Thanks, there are a couple of things I would do differently to improve this.
1. Go to a restaurant supply (or online) and get the heaviest aluminum foil you can find, I think it would be easier to work with than the thin I used.
2. I would buy my fiberglass materials in bulk, I thought my job was small (it was) but I ended up using 2 of the small $24 kits. If I had spent that same $50 in bulk I would have a lot left over.
3. I would also use the oriented strand type of fiberglass mat, again I just think that it would be easier to work with.

Along these same lines when it's time for a fuel pump, I will be building an access panel and do it through the bed. When I was researching I saw a ton of this on Youtube. Most of it was easier, because if its a ford, chevy, dodge, they sell repair panels. I really don't think this method would be hung up on the size of a panel made, only the amount of good metal to make the mold. The other thing is this is completely un-intrusive, as long as your reasonably careful, you wouldn't bother friends truck that does have a good bed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts