Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can’t seem to find a ground that activates when I unlock the truck remotely. My dome lights come on so I tried tapping into that but have been unsuccessful in locating the ground from relay.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
12v DC system so it has a common ground, the ground doesn't turn on. Depending on how much power the new LED's draw you might be fine with tapping into the dome light for power especially if you convert the dome light to LED. If not use the dome light power to trigger a relay that can handle more juice.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I can’t seem to find a ground that activates when I unlock the truck remotely. My dome lights come on so I tried tapping into that but have been unsuccessful in locating the ground from relay.
The BCM does this. Download the manual from NicoClub and you can hunt out the wiring. I couldn't find the 2014 on there but the 2016 was spot-on exactly the same, I added step-lamp strip puddle-lamp LEDs both sides ( at the behest of the Boss ) that come on when the truck is unlocked or the doors are open.

·
Premium Member
2019 Glacier PRO-4X 5AT
298 Posts
The BCM does this. Download the manual from NicoClub and you can hunt out the wiring. I couldn't find the 2014 on there but the 2016 was spot-on exactly the same, I added step-lamp strip puddle-lamp LEDs both sides ( at the behest of the Boss ) that come on when the truck is unlocked or the doors are open.

That’s functional. Did you tie into the wiring at the cargo lamp or find it closer to the BCM?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
That’s functional. Did you tie into the wiring at the cargo lamp or find it closer to the BCM?
Cargo lamps. It's pretty easy to tap into. Note I changed out my cargo lamps to LED as well so power draw dropped 85% so adding the extra draw from the step lamp strips didn't overtax the BCM transistors ( MOSFET's I'm guessing here ).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
12v DC system so it has a common ground, the ground doesn't turn on. Depending on how much power the new LED's draw you might be fine with tapping into the dome light for power especially if you convert the dome light to LED. If not use the dome light power to trigger a relay that can handle more juice.
I tapped into the pos and ground directly in the rear dome light harness. Works exactly as I wanted them to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts