Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about replacing the factory head unit and speakers in my truck. I have narrowed it down to 3 different set-ups. Just curious which set-up others would go with. Just looking for something that sounds clean and clear when I feel like turning it up a bit. I've had CD players from each before and like them all.

Pioneer DEH-3200UB CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
RMS Power Output: 14 watts
EQ Bands: 5
CD Signal-to-Noise: 94 dB
Price: $159.99
Pioneer TS-G1643R 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers — for 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com
Sensitivity 90 dB at 1 watt
Frequency Response 30 - 28k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 2-30
Price: $49.99 per set (need 2 sets)

Clarion CZ209 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
RMS Power Output: 20 watts
EQ Bands: 2
CD Signal-to-Noise: 88 dB
Price $129.99
Infinity Reference 6022i 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers For 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com
Sensitivity 93.4 dB at 2.83 volts
87.5 dB at 1 watt
Frequency Response 53 - 21k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 2-60
Price: $59.99 per set (need 2 sets)

Sony CDX-GT640UI CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
RMS Power output: 17 watts
EQ Bands: 3
CD Signal-to-Noise: 120 dB
Price: $159.99
Sony XS-GT1626A 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers — also fit in 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com
Sensitivity 87 dB at 1 watt
Frequency Response 50 - 23k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 2-40
Price: $69.99 per set (need 2 sets)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need a HU that is a mix of the 3: the EQ bands of the Pioneer (5), the RMS Power Output of the Clarion (20 watts) and the Signal-to-Noise ratio of the Sony (120 dB). Of the 3, I like the looks of the Clarion the best.

I noticed on Crutchfields website that they listed the 6-1/2" Sony speakers as good for both the front and rear doors, but the 6-1/2" Pioneer and Infinity speakers only for the rear doors. What's up with that?

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
crutchfield is very conservative about the mounting depth of our doors. i don't know of anyone who's had any issues putting any speakers in the front doors of our trucks, especially with a 6x9-to-6.5" adapter on top of the factory mount. i've got a pioneer stereo (avic d3) and speakers in my truck (6x9 fronts, 6.5" rears) and i love em (along with my kenwood amp and 8" polk momo sub). a friend of mine rode with me to charlotte this past weekend and he couldn't get over how good my stereo sounded, when i told him how much i had paid for everything he couldn't stop saying "why haven't i done this yet??" lol

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
I'm partial to Sony or Kenwood for HUs.

As far as speakers I'm a Polk fan, have been for almost 30 years.
I have Polks in my truck and Polks in my surround sound theater room.
Best speaker for the money you can buy in my opinion.
If you've never heard any Polks do yourself a favor and go listen to a component set, the ears don't lie.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
for the money polks sound great, though for cheep the pioneers are getting better. i cant say a whole lot as I'm running JL audio XRs in my truck, not exactly budget friendly. But most 6.5 in speakers will fit all the way around. But I would personally run a component speakers up front with tweeters and mid bass drivers in the rear. but thats just me

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just finished putting 4 polk audio db651s's. They are running off of my Pioneer FH-P8000BT. The speakers sound a little underpowered but not to bad. They really helped with the highs and mid bass. I ordered them from sonic electronix for 54.99 a pair free shipping. I also order the mouting plates and I am really glad that I did. I think the next thing on the list is a box from supercrew.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've never been a big fan of Kenwood (never liked the look of them) but this CD player had good specs in all the areas I was looking at and is a HD tuner too:
Kenwood KDC-HD545U CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
RMS Power Output: 22 watts
EQ Bands: 3
CD Signal-to-Noise: 105 dB
Price: $169.99
I think I may have found my HU.
Maybe 4 of these for the doors:
Kenwood KFC-1660S 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers For 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com
Sensitivity 92 dB at 1 watt
Frequency Response 35 - 22k Hz
RMS Power Range (Watts) 2-35
Price: $49.99 per set (need 2 sets)

This setup would look great if I could change over my guage lights like this:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f9/blue-gauge-53802/

All for $265. Not bad at all. But the HU is a pre-order. I wonder how long it would take to get it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just replaced my HU with a Kenwood ???742BT and added the HD tuner with it, put in MTX components in front 6.5 rounds and non component mtx 6.5 in rear, not sure if i really like it, but I am not a huge music person, just listen to country, but the HD and CD music sounds nice and clear to me, my comment is.... the 1 disappointment I am feeling in my choices is that the 1 DIN HU doesnt give me the look I would prefer compared to a 2 DIN unit, I dont know if the options you are looking at are 1 or 2 DIN models, but my observation is worth thinking about. I have only had mine for 1 month or so, and thinking about changing it to a touch screen with DVD 2 DIN model just for the improved looks

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just replaced my HU with a Kenwood ???742BT and added the HD tuner with it, put in MTX components in front 6.5 rounds and non component mtx 6.5 in rear, not sure if i really like it, but I am not a huge music person, just listen to country, but the HD and CD music sounds nice and clear to me, my comment is.... the 1 disappointment I am feeling in my choices is that the 1 DIN HU doesnt give me the look I would prefer compared to a 2 DIN unit, I dont know if the options you are looking at are 1 or 2 DIN models, but my observation is worth thinking about. I have only had mine for 1 month or so, and thinking about changing it to a touch screen with DVD 2 DIN model just for the improved looks
You mean something like this:
Kenwood DDX514 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

·
Registered
572 Posts
u should put a double din

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
78 Posts
You mean something like this:
Kenwood DPX503 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

It's got good specs and it will match the dash colors.
That looks like a nice unit.....but for alittle bit more money you could have a double din dvd w/ touchscreen. I dont know if that would be something that youre interested in, but I know I would be upset if I didnt spend a little extra to get alot more!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks like a nice unit.....but for alittle bit more money you could have a double din dvd w/ touchscreen. I dont know if that would be something that youre interested in, but I know I would be upset if I didnt spend a little extra to get alot more!!
I did think about that. A local electronics store has the Pioneer AVH-3100 on sale for $349. But the specs for music on the Pioneer aren't as good as the Kenwood and I really want the player for music and radio, not watching movies. Plus my 5 year old wouldn't be able to keep her fingers off the touch screen and once she found out it played movies, I'd never get her in there without having to bring kids movies along.

I do need to know if I replace my stock player and both sets of door speakers, will the tweeters in the dash still play or will I need to replace them too? Do the stock tweeters have crossovers in line to them or is that built into the factory player?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
108 Posts
How did it turn out?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haven't had a chance to install it all yet. I'll probably start on it one afternoon this week.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I meant to post this a few days ago:

Hopefully I'll have it all installed by the weekend.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just curious what you guys would do. Should I keep the stock tweeters hooked up, replace them with better tweeters or just disconnect them altogether?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts