Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been scoping out Frontier's (2005-2009) for around 6 months. Hard to find in good shape in KC apparently. Anyways, found one from a private dealer that I trust, but it has the intermittent start and long cranking issue that's well chronicled. I've seen and read it all, IPDM, kick your gas tank, change out the fuel pump, starter relay, wiring harness and on and on and on. All kinds of issues related to starting it seems. Dealer doesn't want to sell until it's fixed and I appreciate that, but now I'm a little gun shy and wondering if this is a lemon. It's in immaculate shape and listed slightly under KBB, which is a rarity with these rigs.

I'm definitely buying a Frontier either way, but wanted to intro and get some feedback on this here dilemma.

Advice? Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Those years are also prone to SMOD.... if it is an automatic and has the original radiator then walk away.

Look at a 2011 > instead as the problem was fixed by then.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those years are also prone to SMOD.... if it is an automatic and has the original radiator then walk away.

Look at a 2011 > instead as the problem was fixed by then.
I'm losing my faith in this place pronto. :surprise:

Obviously I checked for SMOD and aware those years are susceptible to it. My first move after buying would be to replace the radiator with a CSF. Small price to pay to completely eliminate the issue and provide a nice upgrade. That's an easy fix that doesn't require likely paying double and out of my price range for a > 2011 and nearly get the very same truck.

As far as the starting issue, as long as they find the root cause and fix it then I'm willing to buy since it's already priced under market value.

·
Premium Member
13,460 Posts
I disagree with the notion that you should "steer clear" if the dealer fixes the issue and can provide you with some kind of guarantee in writing and if the truck is otherwise in good condition.

When I was 18, I was looking for a car that I wanted. I finally found it after a long search - except the CEL was illuminated and it ran like garbage. A week later, the dealer called and said they had fixed the problem. It ran beautifully on the subsequent test drive. I purchased it with a 30 day warranty in writing. I owned the car for 6 years and put about 150,000 miles on it. It ran fine for as long as I owned it.

Frontiers are typically good trucks. Educate yourself about the known issues and have it thoroughly inspected by a mechanic. I wouldn't automatically write off an otherwise good vehicle for one problem if the dealer takes care of the issue and provides a written guarantee.

·
Registered
305 Posts
IMHO the easiest way to avoid SMOD is to buy a stick shift. The manual trans models are susceptible to SMOD.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMHO the easiest way to avoid SMOD is to buy a stick shift. The manual trans models are susceptible to SMOD.
That's like saying, "You know, I'd like to have a friend, but they might talk to much and just piss me off...sooooo I'll just get a dog instead as long as it doesn't bark, ever."

SMOD avoidance guarantee = bypass. SMOD near 99.999% guarantee = CSF radiator. Random starting issue = troubleshoot root cause and fix. EVERY mechanical or electrical device is fixable one way or another.

Good to see some variance in the feedback.

·
Registered
305 Posts
What is IMHO and SMOD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
::grin:: IMHO= In My Humble Opinion (this by the way is an old internet abbreviation from the early days of texting, LOL).

SMOD=Strawberry Milkshake Of Death, a.k.a. a cross-contamination issue in which radiator coolant and transmission fluid mix, due to a defect in some years of the Frontier. You can search SMOD and find out more. It doesn't affect manual shift vehicles, because they don't have transmission coolers.

That's like saying, "You know, I'd like to have a friend, but they might talk to much and just piss me off...sooooo I'll just get a dog instead as long as it doesn't bark, ever."

SMOD avoidance guarantee = bypass. SMOD near 99.999% guarantee = CSF radiator. Random starting issue = troubleshoot root cause and fix. EVERY mechanical or electrical device is fixable one way or another.

Good to see some variance in the feedback.
LOL, I like your logic. Though my comment was intended to be more tongue-in-cheek than anything else. But, it DOES solve the problem. >:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Long crank could very likely be fuel pump.

The 2010 flew to Ohio for and bought had a long crank issue in temps below freezing - after finding all the issues I did with it, and a 5th gear grind, I strapped on a jetpack and dumped it on my local dealer for a new one for a very minimal loss.

That was a very disappointing purchasing experience.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Long crank could very likely be fuel pump.

The 2010 flew to Ohio for and bought had a long crank issue in temps below freezing - after finding all the issues I did with it, and a 5th gear grind, I strapped on a jetpack and dumped it on my local dealer for a new one for a very minimal loss.

That was a very disappointing purchasing experience.
Crazy deal.

Dealer says the fuel pump has been replaced twice, so has the IPDM, supposedly. They are in for a loss on it already with all of the mech hours.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Nissan motors are built like swiss clocks - its well documented that a typical Nissan motor is capable of 200-300k miles before calling it quits. I've owned three Nissan trucks and I've put over 100k on every single one of them. I put 340k on my first Nissan, my hard body 215k and still sold it for 3500.00 and I have 130k on my first gen right now.

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
For SMOD protection, a radiator replacement seems the most logical approach, imho. The EXPENSIVE part to replace/rebuild/etc is the auto trans itself IFF contamination occurs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I found a 2005 LE (versus the 2007 SE) with the same mileage (150k) for even less with a spotless Carfax and priced under market. No starting issues, etc. Haven't taken it for a test drive yet. My only fear is that there may be some rust in the rear quarters. I can't tell from the pics.

Any reservations on an 05 versus an 07 other than the obvious SMOD issue?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Done. 05 LE Crew Cab purchased. I'll post pics when I take delivery. Appreciate all the feedback!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts