Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 98 nissan frontier. I love the truck its my second nissan P/U. Only thing is this one seems to be leaning on the right side rear like 3 inches. Is it a bad leaf spring or a bad shock. Since i just bought the truck im kinda broke to take it to a mechanic. It kinda floats in the rear (Up and down a little) when hitting bumps. Any help would be much appriciated.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
First thing, check the tire pressure. Mine leans all the time when the tires are off balanced. If they are equal it may be a bad shock or unevenly worn springs

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
all nissan pickups lean on the right side after a little while, its because of the torque of the engine, it rotates the axle forward on the passengers side causing that spring to fatigue very soon

its time for a new leaf pack

it just gets worse over time, thats why its 3 inches lower now

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Listen to Josh (fusionfronty) he knows what he is talking about. If you are in the So Cal area I have stock V6 leaf packs you can have.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I had my 99 King Cab, it was down a couple of inches in the right rear and a front end alignment took care of the problem. As part of the alignment, they adjusted the torsion bars which leveled it back out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
all nissan pickups lean on the right side after a little while, its because of the torque of the engine, it rotates the axle forward on the passengers side causing that spring to fatigue very soon

its time for a new leaf pack

it just gets worse over time, thats why its 3 inches lower now
I'm buying this explanation right here. Mine is about 1.5 inches off. Time for a leaf spring upgrade. I'm way to OCD to keep it the way it is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I noticed that my 99 4x4 was leaning to the passenger side shortly after I bought it and I swapped out both of the leaf's with new ones, but for me that didn't actually fix it. I took it to my favorite local shop and they discovered that the place that I had taken it to for new tires (buy 3 get one free deal place) had LOOSENED my passenger side torsion bar! They apparently did this because they didn't know how to properly align a 4x4 IFS or something, but after my favorite shop re-torqued it to where it needed to be and did a proper alignment, the truck sits perfectly level and drives straight!

*Beware of the "Great Deal from a place not known for working on cars" establishments!*

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.