Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Trucks Getting Too Expensive? 10 Reasons to Get a Nissan Frontier

17K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  Avalon 
#1 ·

The pickup truck market in the United States is booming. Last year, Ford sold nearly 900,000 units of its F-Series line of trucks. There are competitors from all of the major players.

Generally speaking, there are three types of trucks. There are heavy duty trucks like the Ford F-350 or Ram 3500. There’s the half-ton truck, like the F-150, Chevrolet Silverado 1500 or the Ram 1500. Then there’s the mid-size, such as the Toyota Tacoma or Chevrolet Colorado.

Over the past decade, to keep up with safety requirements and consumer demand, trucks have grown in size. The midsized trucks of today are as large as the half-ton trucks from the 2000s. There was a time where nearly every truck you could buy would fit securely in a garage.
To read more about Trucks Getting Too Expensive? 10 Reasons to Get a Nissan Frontier, visit AutoGuide.com.

See less See more
#4 ·
My wife is a Fleet manager for a large company and she has convinced them to go with the Nissan Frontier over the new Ford Ranger.. She ordered them the same truck I drive. 2018 4wd Frontier Crew Cab SV Long-Bed with Value truck package.. The Frontier was $6000.00 Cheaper than a Ford Ranger similarly equipped. She said what won management over was the Longevity of the Frontier, Cost of Service, and Resale value after 5 years.

Reactions: Wyo Wolverine
#5 ·
Nice article.
Welcome to the CLUB gentlemen.

#6 ·
Its a good truck, especially for the money. Another feature that was not mentioned is that the Frontier is honest about being a truck. It drives and feels like a truck. Most of its competitors strive to be as car like as possible. It is not harsh or uncomfortable at all but it does feel like a truck. I like that, I am sure a lot of people do as well.

#30 ·
When I bought my Frontier, I was looking for an SUV. But SUV's, except for Jeep Wranglers and 4runners, are not really SUV's any more. They are all-wheel drive station wagons with very modest off-road capability. The saleswoman suggested a Frontier. When I started test-driving it, my first words were, "This thing drives like a truck. That's not a bad thing.". The Frontier is a truck, but it's a very civilized truck. It drives a lot like the old IH Scout II's I drove a couple of decades ago, but behaves much better, and isn't all rusted out (not yet, anyway).

#7 ·
I'm trying to work out if this article, will make it better or worse for me trying to buy one early next year.
I was hoping the new trucks coming out and the new Ranger would make people sell their Frontiers for an upgrade, allowing me to enter the market.

#10 ·
I have to agree here …. all my vehicles are 10-20 years old (2006 Nismo), because I like the simpler, no-frills, no-bs vehicles. Don't care for all the newest technological wonders, beeping, flashing, talking crap … just give me a good solid truck.

(okay …. I do like my electric windows … LOL )

#13 ·
I bought my 2005 king cab about 5 years ago with around 90K on it and now it has 139K with 6-speed manual. My 12 year old is getting taller and does not want to sit in the jump seats. so i am asked to find a crew cab. Manual transmission is out of question since none available so I have been looking at Crew Cabs or FJ Cruiser. but even decent used ones are in the upper 20s.

#14 ·
A good article with sound advise. I've been watching many review videos of the Colorado and new Ranger and pricing out options, but it's hard to justify the $40K of a FX4 or ZR2. Tomorrow I am going to test drive a used 2018 PRO-4X that is only $25K :) Even if I spend another $5K on additions, better tires, Android Auto head unit, roof rack, LED lights it's still a better deal.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just remember that the VTP items are standard equipment WITH the 6-sp SV CC 4x4.
Factory ordering:
My '15 SV took 18 agonizing weeks for delivery, so if you're wanting it in July or later, just order it in Apr/May (or June) w/ a small down payment.
Still a friggin' shame we can't get a CC SV long bed w/ a 6-sp.

#19 ·
I know what you mean on how hard the Crew 6 Sp is to find. It took me almost 8 months to find my truck. I wanted a used 2014-2016 Pro-4x and it had to black with 6 Sp, and when a good deal popped up I scooped it up. I say if you want the 6 Sp Manual you should wait to find one, it was totally worth it. My Frontier is by far the best truck I have had and it makes it so much sweeter with the manual trans.

Attachments

Reactions: ssFreebird33
#22 ·
do you be leave this. i never meet a Frontier i didnt like. i bought my Frontier in spring 2018. its a 2016 V6 auto . i started reading all i could about them. at first i thought that the person worked for Nissan. cause all i read NEVER had anything bad to say about Frontiers. iam hoping this will be the last truck ill ever have to buy. i do think that will happen.

#25 ·
great simple trucks + port injection is a plus NO carbon issues, as is no cylinder deactivation or other junk. everything today is way OVERPRICED + 4WD pickups are the worse + preowned ones, the only ones i could afford are as well. i love my 2011 SV 4WD extended cab + MANUAL 6 speed tranny, average 19 mpg's which is as good as my anemic 4 banger 08 colorado it replaced!!

#31 ·
I found that Frontier article while I was searching for a new truck a few weeks ago and after comparing the Tacoma and Frontier I picked the Frontier for many of the reasons the writer listed.

Initially, I was all excited about the new Ford Ranger - that is until I learned they only offer an automatic transmission. Then I was back to Tacoma or Frontier and while my previous truck was a 2003 Frontier (CC, LB, 5-speed) I expected to be driving my new Tacoma today. But after driving them both it was an easy decision to go with the highly competent, less expensive, high-torque, reliable solid Frontier. I agree with others who touted the simplicity and reliability of a well-sorted design.

For me it absolutely had to be a manual transmission. I have three vehicles and they all have a clutch; sure, stop and go traffic sucks, but overall I like being a participatory driver. Plus it's a ton of fun with the V6 torque! I talked to six dealerships around me and no one had a PRO-4X manual in stock - they all had to get it from their "extended inventory" which I'm guessing was probably the same truck I ended up with.

I've had it for just over one month and couldn't be happier with my choice.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.