Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just looking for some answers and some advice.

I own a 2003 Frontier and I just got around to swapping my instrument cluster bulbs and parking light bulbs with LEDs. I installed them on Monday, but this morning when I went to start my truck, the truck did nothing, and by "nothing" I mean engine didn't turnover at all and no electricity. This happened again about 3 hours ago. I'm not exactly sure if this is related to the LED swap or I just have a bad battery but I'm getting ready for a sorta long road trip next week and i don't want this to happen during it.

If this is a dumb question, please don't chew me up that bad. haha

By the way white LED parking lights with the halogen headlights look like poop, and if you want to swap your dash light with LEDs in the 1st gen, the white ones look blueish purple than bright white like I wanted. Maybe I should try "warm white" for the brighter OEM look?

Thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah forgot to mention that.
I got it to start by either tapping on the battery or just removing the negative terminal and reconnecting it. One of those two did the trick.

·
Super Moderator
11,063 Posts
Are the terminals very clean? If they are a new battery will be the answer.
How old is the current one? Based on the trucks age I'd guess you changed it out about three years ago.

Clint

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The terminals are clean and the battery is about a year or two old?
Could it be related to the LED swap since it hasn't done this until I did the swap?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'd take a wire brush to the terminals on the cables and the battery and hook'er back up. Make sure the terminals are really really really tight. A slightly loose (but still snug) terminal connection makes my transmission go haywire in my rodeo.

·
Super Moderator
11,063 Posts
The terminals are clean and the battery is about a year or two old?
Could it be related to the LED swap since it hasn't done this until I did the swap?
Could just be a coincidence. My Titans battery died at just under two years old. Is the battery wet or damp on top? That's one sign of a dying battery.

Clint

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You might want to check the main engine ground. Make sure it's clean and tight.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Check the negative clamp on the ground wire, they are notoriously weak. I had the same thing happen to me last week.

I bought a new negative clamp, cut the old one off the ground cable and attached the new one, then tightened it down on the negative post. Now it's tight and the Fronty fires right up!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone with all the input.

Clint, the top of the battery was a little damp and looked there were big dried up water spots.

Two Bills, where exactly in the main engine ground.

JagNorb, I might have to do the same thing because I was able to remove the negative clamp off the post easily with the clamp fully tightened.

Again, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Could just be a coincidence.

Clint
Yep, everything happens to me like this. I change one thing and a thousand other things go wrong that are completely unrelated, it's just the luck of the draw.

You should still have a warranty on that battery right? If so go get another and start with that.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Check the negative clamp on the ground wire, they are notoriously weak. I had the same thing happen to me last week.

I bought a new negative clamp, cut the old one off the ground cable and attached the new one, then tightened it down on the negative post. Now it's tight and the Fronty fires right up!
i just had to fix mine
i used a half inch piece of copper pipe and filled the space in with it (between the post and clamp)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guy, turns out I do need a new battery.
The voltage ended up being 12.38.

So anyone have any recommendations for a battery besides optimas?

I was thinking about buying an Interstate battery.

·
Super Moderator
11,063 Posts
I prefer sears as they are everywhere if needed, as is walmart.

Clint

1 - 18 of 18 Posts