Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday, I was driving around and went to a friends house. We had a snow storm, and I thought it'd be another great chance to play around with my truck in 4WD with some snow/ice. :)

I pull up in his driveway, truck is in 4WD, and I go to put it in Park, and it won't go in - I ended up pushing a bit harder, and it latched, and I turned it off.

Then I noticed my locks didn't click open, and it got me thinking maybe it wasn't really in park - I go to start the truck, no dice. Shift it into Neutral, and it starts up. I put it in Park after that without issue, and the locks pop, and I turn off the truck - started w/o issue the next time as well.

Also when it wouldn't go into park, I thought about maybe it was position-related, so I rolled the truck back a bit, still wouldn't go, rolled it forward, still wouldn't go...that's when I finally thought I'll just push it home and turn it off...

Any ideas? Anyone else have this happen? It's not done it since.

·
Super Moderator
12,391 Posts
Can anything be packed and frozen under the truck on top of the trans?

Clint

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can anything be packed and frozen under the truck on top of the trans?

Clint
Nah, we didn't have that much snow or ice, and I'd have a hard time imagining that I got anything that wet driving around. It also was just under freezing, so any temps from the transmission would have easily have melted whatever it was off.

I was at a store a few minutes before his house, no problems. The only thing goofy I did was drop the hammer through about 2" of slush to see what'd happen when it lost traction w/ all 4 wheels. Slip light triggered, and about 200ft afterwards was his driveway.

·
Super Moderator
12,391 Posts
Maybe something needed more time to reset itself after you did that. You've got a lot of warranty left so take it in and let it be known, so it's been recorded even if they can't reproduce the problem.

Clint

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
15,482 Posts
there have been some reported problems of this happening on cold days with snow involved. someone on the X had the same thing. parked it in a garage over night and has never happened since

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
wet, heavy snow yesterday and driving the gen2 X around today I noticed it was a bit tough to shift into park. I think some slush had packed around the linkage.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Has happened to me when I have driven through a lot of snow and slush. Was even difficult to get into reverse, a few back and forth through the gear movements resolved the issue.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had this problem once with mine. Took it to the dealer and they said I had managed to get ice jammed up under some wire or something. Nonetheless the bastards charged me $50.:thatswck:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Same thing happened to me today after driving through deep heavy slush. Had to force it into park and then wouldn't start until I really forced it into the park position. Sounds like a known issue? Anyone have any idea what is binding up?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I have not had the problem only been in snow on a couple of cross country trips. If transmission selector moves to park but transmission is not this is a major safety problem and should be reported to NHTS for recall. They have recalled other brands for similar problems.

·
Registered
538 Posts
is it possible the tranmissoin fluid is not warming to proper tempperature in frigid cold weather , if some one has a temperature gauge for maesuring fluid ,maesure the fliud on a hot summer day , compared to the temp of the fluid on a cold winter day ,engine at operating tempurate in both cases ,and see how much tempurater diference there is

·
Registered
236 Posts
is it possible the tranmissoin fluid is not warming to proper tempperature in frigid cold weather , if some one has a temperature gauge for maesuring fluid ,maesure the fliud on a hot summer day , compared to the temp of the fluid on a cold winter day ,engine at operating tempurate in both cases ,and see how much tempurater diference there is
No, definitely a mechanical resistance to going into park. But it is also not a solid resistance - definitely feels like a linkage binding on packed snow or slush.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had this problem also a bit over a month ago, was going through deep slushy/watery snow. I got to the gas station and would not go into park, I didn't want to force it, I put it into reverse and drive and neutral and finally it went into park without force. I think it's some kind of mechanical issue where slush/snow is getting into something but not sure what.

I tested my theory when leaving the gas station ripping through some slush and coming to a red light, tried to put the truck into park and it wouldn't go, I drove all the way to work and when I got to work (not much slush around there) truck went into park fine.

I've been in deep/somewhat compacted snow with this truck and never had a problem putting it into park, I attribute it to the slushy cold stuff causing the problem perhaps?

·
Registered
280 Posts
This same issue just happened to me tonight. Same weather conditions... snowed then rained. Lot's of slushy water laying around. When I got home, it was difficult to move my shifter. I slide the shifter to 2nd gear and ran it up to park... did this multiple times which seemed to dislodge the snow/ice build up on the linkage. If my wife had the truck and did this she'd probably panic over it. They need to find a solution for this problem.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
15,482 Posts
This just happened to me again tonight - lots of snow then rain, so 4" of slush everywhere. Has anyone read of a DIY shield or protection to prevent this from happening?

·
Registered
643 Posts
happened to my 08 X on deep snow before it was like 2 ft. not sure what was it.

i was thinking of a frozen shifter cable?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Slushy snow here and mine wouldn't even go into reverse for a while. Finally got it in park, but it's not going enough in park to completely lock the transmission or do the auto door unlock.

I have driven it a good bit and the temps are just a few degrees above freezing. Any other suggestions? I talked with a Nissan master tech over the phone and he said there is a small spring somewhere under the shifter that can break and cause this issue.

Does anyone have a link to a thread or pdf with a diagram on how to take the shifter bezel apart?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Slushy snow here and mine wouldn't even go into reverse for a while. Finally got it in park, but it's not going enough in park to completely lock the transmission or do the auto door unlock.

I have driven it a good bit and the temps are just a few degrees above freezing. Any other suggestions? I talked with a Nissan master tech over the phone and he said there is a small spring somewhere under the shifter that can break and cause this issue.

Does anyone have a link to a thread or pdf with a diagram on how to take the shifter bezel apart?

The cup holders snap out by hand, then you can pull up the shifter trim. All plastic clips but mine came apart easily with all the clips intact.

I think the tech may have been referring to a spring clip on the detent cable which has been known to come apart (thanks V8Man for identifying that for me) and did on mine. For me it caused a similar binding (the clip physically blocked the track that the shift lever moves in) but in the other direction - wouldn't go into drive. I suppose if the clip falls in a different way, it could cause it to bind going either way, but the similar weather conditions you all described makes me wonder if it is something different.

Mine was under warranty and the dealer's fix was to install a new shifter assembly. The detent cable seems to perform slightly different functions on different transmissions. Couldn't find out exactly what it does on the Frontier but I drove for two days without it and everything seemed to function normally. When the new shifter went in, I did notice that the shift lever seemed tighter than I remembered making me wonder if the cable had been loose since I've had the truck and just picked that day to jam...??? Anyway, I'm in Florida so the only way I drive through ice is if someone spills their drink on the road...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.