Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to post this since I'm not sure what this is. Yesterday I was looking to see how hard it will be too change out my steering wheel and add the fog light stalk since my parts arrived. I noticed some odd wires hanging down under the dash with a jumper wire, which I pulled out to look at. Well, today I went to move the truck and it wouldn't start. I put the jumper wire in and it started. It looks like a wire is cut off and then the other runs behind the center of the dash down by the 4x4 switch area. I'll be able to get a better look when I rip out the dash in a couple weeks to work on some mods but for now I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this. There is an aftermarket switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel that I figured was put in for fog lights but now I'm wondering if the cut wire is supposed to go to it to be able to disable it from starting or something. The jumper wire goes into the blue connector.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
New guy here
I don't work on nissans just own one.
It looks like a 2 wire connector. So i'm
guessing yours is an automatic trans and that connector would go to a clutch switch ,that keeps you
from starting without the clutch pushed in. Put the jumper wire back

Matt

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I hate rigged electrics. If they don't know what they're doing, leave it alone. Damn hacks!
Not you, but whomever did that to your wiring. You may want to get a factory service manual to figure what the connector is for or take it to the stealer! Sometimes it's your only hope.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
There is an aftermarket switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel that I figured was put in for fog lights but now I'm wondering if the cut wire is supposed to go to it to be able to disable it from starting or something.
If that's a hidden kill switch, they did a pretty crappy job of hiding it.

However, it's not unheard of for car dealers to put hidden connectors on their vehicles, as a theft deterrent. Removing the jumper plug that mates with the connector disables the vehicle.

After they sell the vehicle, they usually either cut off the connector and splice the wires, or install the jumper plug before the customer takes possession of it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

However, it's not unheard of for car dealers to put hidden connectors on their vehicles, as a theft deterrent. Removing the jumper plug that mates with the connector disables the vehicle.

After they sell the vehicle, they usually either cut off the connector and splice the wires, or install the jumper plug before the customer takes possession of it.
I have a hard time believing a reputable dealer would do that. Plus they are insured.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New guy here
I don't work on nissans just own one.
It looks like a 2 wire connector. So i'm
guessing yours is an automatic trans and that connector would go to a clutch switch ,that keeps you
from starting without the clutch pushed in. Put the jumper wire back

Matt
. I WAS hoping it was a clutch override, as I have one on my FJ that is button activated and it comes in handy. But nope, I guess it's a "kill switch" with no actual button or toggle.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is an aftermarket switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel that I figured was put in for fog lights but now I'm wondering if the cut wire is supposed to go to it to be able to disable it from starting or something.

I have a hard time believing a reputable dealer would do that. Plus they are insured.
The truck was traded in at a real dealership then went to auction, then was bought by a used car dealer, which is where I bought it. I do think it's possible that either the auction or the dealer did it, as he had no fences or anything like that around his lot.

Picki Ings are slim for CC LB MT 4x4s though and so far it's a good truck, I just keep finding little surprises like this.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, about that. Some dealerships while insured, still have higher than average problems with on the lot vehicle thefts depending on their locale. Some insurance carriers will not even insure them unless they put on a passive theft deterrent device. Seen it on both new and used vehicle lots when I lived in South Texas were truck theft is pretty rampant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts