Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Truck won't start, ready to torch it. ECM or something else.

876 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  RyanD1966 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 XE Frontier. A few weeks ago a hose busted and drained all the coolant from the truck, it ran hot, it died. My husband was a mechanic for 20 years and can usually fix anything. The head gasket was blown, so they rebuilt the motor completely. It will turn over, but won't start. It's got compression, fuel, but it's not getting a spark/no fire. Replaced cam and crank sensor, checked all coil packs, spark plugs and they are good. We even checked the sensors and wiring harnesses to make sure they were good after the replacments. Still Nothing. No codes are showing up. We found a PCM/ECU whatever from a local salvage yard. Same make, model, year, motor size, both with cruise control, both automatic. Still won't crank. Local Nissan dealer said for $125 they can tell me if the PCM is bad, but they won't fix it or program it since it's used. Would the PCM I got require programming if it's for an identical truck? Any other ideas of what can be wrong?

#2 ·
Where did you get the cam and crank sensors from? If they aren't Denso, Hitachi or OE Nissan sensors, use them for target practice. Frontier's are hyper-sensitive on what sensors are installed.
Also, did you verify the MAF and coolant temp sensors are plugged in and functional? An OBD II tech scanner with live-data capture should be able to tell you about all of these data channels. I have this one, its great, engine, ABS, SRS and steering angle sensor functions all in one unit.

#3 ·
Where did you get the cam and crank sensors from? If they aren't Denso, Hitachi or OE Nissan sensors, use them for target practice. Frontier's are hyper-sensitive on what sensors are installed.
Also, did you verify the MAF and coolant temp sensors are plugged in and functional? An OBD II tech scanner with live-data capture should be able to tell you about all of these data channels. I have this one, its great, engine, ABS, SRS and steering angle sensor functions all in one unit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVCYXNY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#4 ·
We used different brand sensors. I'll get some more. Can you confirm that the cam and crank sensors are the same part number? I'll also order a coolant sensor and pickup a new OBD reader. Ours doesn't have live feed. It's just a simple reader.

#5 · (Edited)
Cam and cranks are different, and I'm pretty certain the left and right cams are different as well. I'd replace all with Hitachi or Denso and retest.
Also make absolutely certain you didn't miss any ground leads when reassembling the engine back into the truck. That can make you out-house-rat crazy chasing phantom issues when it's a ground loop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.