Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
So I have a 2015 Nissan Frontier with a 6 inch lift and 2 inch adjustable bilsteins with 22s and 35s. I got these wheels put on recently and I had rly bad shaking. Took it to get them balanced and it got better but still shaking at 55-60 mph. I used to have 20x12s and 35s and had no shaking at all it rode really smoothly. The shop I went to to balance the wheels is a different shop than I usually go to, so I don’t rly trust that they balanced them properly as they ride much better but still shake getting up to highway speeds. Does anyone have any idea as to what could cause this and if a shop could improperly balance a wheel? Thank you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also checked my psi if that could be a possible problem, and they are at 39 psi. I don’t think this could cause the issue but if anyone thinks otherwise lmk.

·
Premium Member
10,028 Posts
Any chance it’s a bad u-joint and you’re just attributing it to a wheel balance issue?

Clint

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Did they static balance or dynamic balance the wheels? In other words, is there wheel weights on just the inside of the wheel (static) or are there wheel weights on the inside AND outer side of the wheel (dynamic)? If it was static balanced, that is likely the issue, assuming there isn't a bad tire or bent wheel(s). Some places that balance tires (like the Walmart near me) seem to be "allergic" (or just too lazy or don't know how) to using tape-on wheel weights, which is usually what you have to use on the outer side of most aftermarket wheels (and even some factory wheels, these days). Best would be to have them road force balanced, but they have to have the machine to do it and it's usually not cheap (expect around $25-$30 per wheel).

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I got a new set of 285/75/16 from Discount they didn't balance them properly at first. They were shaking pretty bad at highway speeds. I brought them back the next day and they re-balanced and they have been good ever since.

·
Premium Member
10,028 Posts
I had tape on weights fall off brand new rims, guess the guy mounting them wanted to have to do them over again for free on his unpaid time.

Clint

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did they static balance or dynamic balance the wheels? In other words, is there wheel weights on just the inside of the wheel (static) or are there wheel weights on the inside AND outer side of the wheel (dynamic)? If it was static balanced, that is likely the issue, assuming there isn't a bad tire or bent wheel(s). Some places that balance tires (like the Walmart near me) seem to be "allergic" (or just too lazy or don't know how) to using tape-on wheel weights, which is usually what you have to use on the outer side of most aftermarket wheels (and even some factory wheels, these days). Best would be to have them road force balanced, but they have to have the machine to do it and it's usually not cheap (expect around $25-$30 per wheel).
Some wheels have the wheel weights on inside and outside and some don’t, could that be the issue if one is static and one is dynamic?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To clarify, the vibration came after the wheels/tires were installed? No vibration with the lift on before? Are the wheels hub centric?
No I have had the lift on for abt a year now, had two sets of 20x12s one with 33s and one with 35s no shaking. Got these no offset 22s and 35s and have the shaking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you went from 20s to 22s and got the shakes, I would think that it is the 22's that are causing the issue. Some tires just SUCK.
Lol true however these are brand new rbp mud tires so I wouldn’t think they’d cause an issue but idk I’ve never run these tires before so they could be shitty. Have a couple friends with them tho and they have no issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I got a new set of 285/75/16 from Discount they didn't balance them properly at first. They were shaking pretty bad at highway speeds. I brought them back the next day and they re-balanced and they have been good ever since.
Yea I’m considering going back And having it done again, just don’t wanna end up wasting money if the problem continues

·
Premium Member
10,028 Posts
Highly doubt it was just under the truck checking things out and looked fine to me
My truck was fine one day and out of the blue on a NJ to Florida run things changed. The u-joint got just sloppy enough to be REALLY annoying and me of all people with a garage full of tools including a press had to let a Nissan dealer fix it. It was a sad day, lol.

Clint

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Lol true however these are brand new rbp mud tires so I wouldn’t think they’d cause an issue but idk I’ve never run these tires before so they could be shitty. Have a couple friends with them tho and they have no issues.
Big mudders are hard to balance. I had one that just would not balance. I think that harmonics at various speeds come into play too. Balances well at 30 and 70, vibrates a 50...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Big mudders are hard to balance. I had one that just would not balance. I think that harmonics at various speeds come into play too. Balances well at 30 and 70, vibrates a 50...
Yea that could be it bc they get a little shaky at 35, fine at 45-50 then 55-60 get pretty shaky.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Some wheels have the wheel weights on inside and outside and some don’t, could that be the issue if one is static and one is dynamic?
It could just be that some of the wheels didn't need weights on the inside. Occasionally you run into a wheel/tire that don't need any weights. If none of the wheels had weights on both sides, then I would be suspect that they static balanced. Also possible that a weight fell off; tape weights can be tricky if you don't prep the wheel surface before you put them on. I use to find out where the weight was needed, scuff it up a little with some 120 grit sandpaper and then clean the spot with brake cleaner and a clean rag or paper towel. When I placed the weight on the spot, I would tap it down with a small hammer and then apply hard pressure to it with the hammer handle and slide it back and forth across the top of the weight for 10-seconds to make sure it really stuck to the wheel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts