Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 SV, Silver
512 Posts
You're probably right. I was thinking with the tail gate down gives about 2 more feet of room.
Thanks
Well, you are correct, and I don't quite get Baja's not liking it, you do get the needed length to lay out about any ground pad or air mattress I've ever seen. My reservation is it looks like a process to get set up and If I were taking the time to set that up, I would just as well use a ground tent. That gets you the ability to leave camp set up and just drive away on errands or day trips.

·
Registered
292 Posts
There are advantages to sleeping in the truck. You are above the ground and the bed is flat. The disadvantages have been mentioned, pain moving the truck and gear storage.

If you have a tonneau cover you are able to pull out the 2 long crossed poles and drop the tent. The tonneau will cover the tent and gear for travel. You should have either a backflip type or a rollup to open the entire bed. I have a tri fold and it is a pain to get it off the bed, not hard just another proceedure to do. I have camped at many places that had a lodge with good food (and a bar!). Since the speed limit is 25 mph through most parks the bed tent should do okay if up but I don't know. Maybe a strap from the tent to the top of the cab would allow higher speeds. I guess a contractor's suction cup would attach to the top of the cab.

All the above are musings because I was given a bed tent. I have never used it. One fiberglass pole was broken which I glued together and then bought an aluminum pole to have an extra. Thinking about how I could use the bed tent is how I came up with the above. I knew I also would need to cut some plywood to make the bed flat for sleeping and then I had the idea to use that plywood on the ground under a regular tent. Even weirder, I thought about towing a 4x8 utility trailer and erecting the bed tent on that.

Tt

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
15,849 Posts
I have a canopy on my truck and I have slept in my long box bed many times. I use a twin air mattress and then a thinsultae mat on top to keep the cool off my back while sleeping. I bring a tent and then move my gear into the tent for the night. Why? Cuz there are a lot of black and grizzly bears where I go off-road and the added protection of the canopy and truck bed enables me to sleep better at night. I joke with my friends that I will put all my food in the tent (which I don't), but it usually gets a few eyebrows raised.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You're probably right. I was thinking with the tail gate down gives about 2 more feet of room.
Thanks
I just spent a week camping in the back of my long bed with the tail gate up. I'm 5'10"...maybe 5'11" in the morning or on a good day. So it probably depends on how tall you are. but if you're using the tent with the tailgate down, you'll be find length wise. You may want to put bring a small piece of 1/8 or 1/4" plywood to bridge the gap between the bed and the gate.

Width wise. You'll probably want to put a deck in there so if you're in there with your concubine or huntin' buddy you have more space. Trying to fit between the wheel wells would be tight...maybe only enough to keep your "special person" close. Definitely don't want to be that close to another stinky dude.

If you're tall, then you could build a little extension to make the raised platform a little longer. Right now I'm trying to be patient to find the right used camper shell and plan to build a light weight platform wtih removable sections so I can configure how I want for different scenarios.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts