Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving around earlier today and suddenly the truck (06 XE 4Banger) starting to sputter a little bit. Kept going down the road and it would do it a little of and on, not too terribly bad. On my way home tonight, on I-64, it started doing it again, but way worse. Driving along at about 60, and it would just kinda fall on its face for a second then pick back up. trying to turn onto my street i got on the clutch and it just died, hit the key, it started back up and tried to die again. before it could i hit the gas and kept it alive long enough to get it in my driveway.

My first thought was fuel pump, but it literally JUST started acting up this afternoon...about an hour after i filled up with gas. Then i thought maybe fuel filter but i can't find the freakin thing. Or, the sorta obvious, bad gas. Any ideas for diagnosis?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I was driving around earlier today and suddenly the truck (06 XE 4Banger) starting to sputter a little bit. Kept going down the road and it would do it a little of and on, not too terribly bad. On my way home tonight, on I-64, it started doing it again, but way worse. Driving along at about 60, and it would just kinda fall on its face for a second then pick back up. trying to turn onto my street i got on the clutch and it just died, hit the key, it started back up and tried to die again. before it could i hit the gas and kept it alive long enough to get it in my driveway.

My first thought was fuel pump, but it literally JUST started acting up this afternoon...about an hour after i filled up with gas. Then i thought maybe fuel filter but i can't find the freakin thing. Or, the sorta obvious, bad gas. Any ideas for diagnosis?
Mine did the same thing. Computer fixed itself though. I would run the codes to be safe.

I was on the freeway going 70, and it just sputtered and died. Towed it home and it started right up. 15k miles later and it hasn't happened again. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I would think that it could have been bad gas. It could have been that you had good gas in the tank, then added the bad gas. After it sat a little, the bad gas separated some and your motor was pulling in the really crappy part after it burned thru the good gas that was in the lines already.

IDK if it is worth draining the tank but may be worth siphoning some out and putting it in your lawnmower and seeing how it reacts. If it runs like crap, then you know it was the gas.

I just don't know how to fix crappy gas. I know some people add a stability additive and then an octane additive but I am not sure if this process will help baby the tank thru its crappy time or what. Heck, maybe even add SeaFoam to the tank too but IDK.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
mine happened following a gas tank fill up 5 miles prior. I only use premium now anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts