Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, 2018-Frontier- 6Cyc - Crewcab
It is getting cold in Texas and I'm using the hot air. I noticed that if I'm not traveling, just idling the air blowing is cold. Once I start driving the air heats up. So I have to keep moving to get hot air.
I did drain/replace on the coolant last year and I read that if there is air in the system that causes the issue I'm having.
Wanted to get feedback from the community here.
And 'how to' fix it?
Happy Thanksgiving and thanks!

· Registered
3,401 Posts
When cold, be sure the radiator is filled to overflowing and cap it tight.
Increase coolant level an inch or so above the seam in the reservoir tank.
Let it idle for 15-20 with the reservoir tank cap off, to let the air out,
Then tighten. You should have plenty of heat at idle.
If you keep the coolant level above the seam, it won't repeat this problem

· Registered
'19 Frontier SV CC SB 4x4 Gun Metallic
33 Posts
I have had this issue before on my Xterra after draining the cooling system for maintenance/repair work.

What RamTest posted should take care of it.

I once ran across a post over on the Xterra forum about how to avoid trapping air when refilling the cooling system after working on it.

-- This is for when the system is drained. (obviously, if drained it's a cold, non running engine.) --

Look at your heater hoses at the firewall - one of them looks like somewhat of a "T" with a smaller hose coming out of the top of it. Disconnect that top hose from that "T" and fill at the radiator until fluid is coming out of the top of that fitting where the hose is disconnected. That is a high point in the system, and filling this way give air a place to escape while filling. Once you get a steady stream of coolant coming out of that fitting, the radiator should be full. Reconnect the hose. Cap the radiator and make sure the reservoir bottle is filled correctly and capped. I will usually start it at that point and run it at idle up to normal operating temp with the heat on high. Once warmed up you should have good steady heat, and no trapped air. Ever since I read that and started doing it that way, I have not had the air pocket issue again. I believe that smaller hose connects to the reservoir bottle, so I do not believe you want to do this if the system is already filled. Just a note for next time you have to work on it to hopefully avoid the air pocket.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
With Coolant OR Water , or does it matter?
Thank you!

· Premium Member
2012 CC "S" 4x4
1,300 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THIS WORKED!
I was surprised at the amount of coolant I needed to add to the radiator, 10 oz or more. Then, I let it idle for 20mins, it was still blowing cold, so I reved up the engine a bit and let it idle for another 10 mins. 30mins total. After driving it around for a bit I sat in the parking lot and it work. Super happy I can now sit and get warm air. That one time I was in a resting area in winter I suffered!
Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts