Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 frontier pro 4x with about 105,000 miles. It doesn’t happen every time but sometimes when I’m parked with the engine running the rpms will drop and the truck will turn off, sometimes it’s drops, almost turns off and the goes back up again. Other times will driving, the truck gives me a quick jolt or a kick it feels like and my rpms jump up and then back to normal. Battery is good not great, alternator was checked good. Any other ideas? I’m hoping the computer isn’t messed up.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
A/C compressor clutch OK?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I have a 2012 frontier pro 4x with about 105,000 miles. It doesn’t happen every time but sometimes when I’m parked with the engine running the rpms will drop and the truck will turn off, sometimes it’s drops, almost turns off and the goes back up again. Other times will driving, the truck gives me a quick jolt or a kick it feels like and my rpms jump up and then back to normal. Battery is good not great, alternator was checked good. Any other ideas? I’m hoping the computer isn’t messed up.
Something is causing your truck to not operate at steady state. How intermittent is this problem? The ECU has two principal feedback control modes: open and closed loop. Open is only when the engine is cold and the ECU stays out of the way. Have you noticed when running cold, the burps do not happen?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something is causing your truck to not operate at steady state. How intermittent is this problem? The ECU has two principal feedback control modes: open and closed loop. Open is only when the engine is cold and the ECU stays out of the way. Have you noticed when running cold, the burps do not happen?
It’s not very often that I feel the burps, usually I have been driving for a bit before I feel it so the engine is warmed up by then. I also reset my ECU yesterday and was gonna see if anything changes today

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
It’s not very often that I feel the burps, usually I have been driving for a bit before I feel it so the engine is warmed up by then. I also reset my ECU yesterday and was gonna see if anything changes today
I feel bad for you as you may search for the root cause using the "whack-a-mole" tool. It is very frustrating.

In humans, diagnosis of intermittent events is often done with monitors. An example is the Holter monitor that captures ECG over a period of time. This is what you need to capture the "burp." Is there such a monitor for cars? It would hook up to the OBD II port and be programmed to look for events.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I take it the truck isn't throwing any codes? Symptoms seem to point to Crank/Cam position sensor. Video below is for the crank sensor. there are other videos for the cam sensors which are more difficult to get to and there are 2 of them to replace. here is just one thread on the issue but there are plenty more
https://www.clubfrontier.org/threads/camshaft-position-sensor-vs-crankshaft-position-sensor.209586/

Whatever you do make sure you buy the OEM parts and not parts from autozone etc....

·
Registered
9 Posts
As mentioned in another response the cam sensor might need a look, although this should show up as a specific event if you run a scan. My 07 SE had similar problem last year at 90,000 and sensor replacement took care of it. Have since had coils and plugs replaced and truck runs smooth and quiet as new. Spending $100 on a decent scanner was well worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts