Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so about 2 weeks ago my truck started to putter or buble at idle or at a stop light, and its turned off about 2-3 times. Does anyone know why? I changed the spark plugs thinking it could be the problem, but it happened again today.

·
Banned
94 Posts
My old car used to do that till you throw from 89 octane in it. Did you replace the plug wires? When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Run some seafoam through it also.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel filter is pretty good, the wires might be the problem. I only changed the spark plugs. Thanks ill check up on that when i change em later.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
cap/rotor/wires/clean MAF/seafoam let us know.

·
Registered
154 Posts
do a tuneup (cap/rotor/wires/fuel filter/PCV/etc) and see where your idle is sitting, adjust it if it's low

·
Registered
154 Posts
for the 3.3L, if you buy the cheapest stuff from napa:

distributor cap, $23
distributor rotor, $7
PCV valve, $5
fuel filter, $7
plug wires, $46

...comes out to $88.

·
Registered
11 Posts
very quite possibly a knock sensor, good thing about the knock sensor.... its a $50 dollar part, bad news about the knock sensor.... its mounted beneath the intake plenum and is a pain to get to.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
KS wouldnt cause that. does it die when you turn sharp too?

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
very quite possibly a knock sensor, good thing about the knock sensor.... its a $50 dollar part, bad news about the knock sensor.... its mounted beneath the intake plenum and is a pain to get to.
Ks doesnt do jack on these NA motors.

OP, if you replaced the spark plugs yourself, you can certainly replace the rest of the tune up parts - its not hard

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
its not going to be a tune up unless you are losing spark from the distributer.
i'll tell you the things that killed my truck.
1. grounds inside ecu went bad had intermid stalling no power issues. (my ecu was reprogrammed by that company in CA but it lasted 4 yrs)
2. maf was going bad would kill it out in drive cycle then when it grounded its self out and took out the ecu whole truck died.
3. ground cable. go wiggle your ground and positive with it running- i sell about 2 ground cables a month in the north east for the frontiers and xterras

1 - 15 of 15 Posts