Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well was up in Cheyenne today and on the way back I slowed to 20 from 60 and pushed in the clutch to put it into fourth to idle away from a big dip where they milled out the pavement and noticed my oil light was on, quick mirror check for an oil slick (happened before in a chevy...) nothing and then I notice the rpms at zero and trucks off, I let the clutch out and it starts up and I continue going. I'm about 60 miles from home with my almost 16 month old so I don't screw with much on the drive and at first I thought I killed it idling so low in 6th and it just died from pushing in the clutch but it happened again in the next town I had to slow down for. Tried it a few other times running about 2k in any gear and push the clutch in and the rpms drop like normal except that when it hits 700 rpms the needle doesn't stop, just keeps dropping until the engine is dead. If I slow down and am near an idle before pushing in the clutch then it will stay running. And also I noticed for the past couple times I drove the truck that it would be idling and then it was as if the a/c compressor kicked on and made the engine drop a hundred or two rpms and then it would pick up again. Happens without the a/c even being and fan off and no difference if the lights are on or not for a load.

I got a relay replaced back in 2015 that was under the hood when I was at the dealer looking for some nissan trans fluid and had them run the vin and it popped up. I'm assuming that is the IPDM one.. I searched on here for a while with terms like: erratic idle and dying when pushing in the clutch and got zilch so figured instead of resurrecting an old thread and get hassled by some of the people on here I'll start my own and see what anyone has to say.

Oh it's a 2006 K cab nismo long bed stick shift 4.0 truck with 112,xxx miles on it
Has a few mods but nothing was touched in the past year or more, sparkplugs done at the recommended interval.
I'll go outside tomorrow (as we made it back after dark) and pop the hood and check fluids and hoses and plugs and see if anything is amiss.

Forgot to mention that no DTC's showed up and by looking at the bullydog the a/f ratio and maf all seemed to look fine but I'll plug in a scanner tomorrow and check everything and graph in and see if I can find what's going on at an idle. Probably find my can of maf cleaner and do that and see about the idle air control valve's location and whatever else I can find.

Printed out the idle air relearn instructions etc even though I think they are sitting in the driver's seat back pouch from when I put them there 5 years ago.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, found the issue it seems. Hooked up the obd2 scanner and I had a large long term fuel trim setting and the short term one was bouncing around a bit as well as the o2 sensor readings weren't normal. So I figured I'll check the MAF as I replaced that a few years ago and dug out my can of CRC MAF cleaner and gave it a good spraying even though it seemed clean, didn't help. Figured maybe the aircleaner was all messed up even though I replaced it a year ago and it has a prefilter sock thing on it, fyi it's a powercore filter in a volant cai. Took the lid off and ... the stupid filter wasn't on the bell housing anymore!!! Clamp was loose or never got tightened apparently when I went in there maybe a month or two ago. I'll see if I can blame my wife or the 15 month old for distracting me while I was putting the filter on last time..

Sheesh, seems not enough intake restriction was throwing everything wacky! Did a drive and the trims went back in spec and the truck didn't stall when pushing in the clutch while cruising.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts