Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my truck today when at about 30mph it shut off. I drifted into a parking lot and checked it out. No weird noises when it happened, lights and all turn on with key, but it doesn't turn over at all. Battery is brand new optima, and all fuses I know of looked good. Any clues? Its a 2013 KC 6 speed model. Mods are exhaust, cai, IMS, and bullydog tune all with about 1,500 miles on them. Truck totals 28k miles. All fluids looked good as well!! Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Any codes?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No codes, and sadly it happened when I was going out of town for work. So had to leave it and am having sister get it towed. I wont get to look at it for a week or 2. This just sucks so bad. Alot of money in it and still a new truck basically. Like said i just went over the basics check wise as i was running late. Hoping to get all the opinions I can. Now one thing, i did have a motor swap done as I made a error on the old motor and messed the piston up when putting IMS on, very stupid mistake which Ill never do again. But this motor only had like 12k miles, did great on compression and leakdown test, and has been running great since i got it done 3k miles ago and am hoping its nothing to do with that. Thanks for any of yalls replys. Greatly appreciated

·
Registered
256 Posts
Could it be the BullyDog tune?

The reason I ask is because I used to have an SVT Cobra that had a piggyback chip tuner.

It would occasionally act like the anti theft kicked in and not start. Everything worked but no crank.

Removing the chip removed the problem.

I am not familiar with the BullyDog so I don't know if it is piggyback or an actual flash to the ECU.

Just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Troubleshooting: start simple...work outward.
Simple electrical connection issues can upset the whole applecart.
A corroded positive terminal can creep into positive cable and begin to create a plethora of issues.
I've personally had a bad negative cable be the culprit.

Keep us posted...we like to learn around here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like said sadly I will have to wait 2 weeks to trouble shoot as im out of town working. I think the terminsls are good, i cleaned and put anticorrosion stuff on them with new optima battery install not long ago. And no it doesnt crank at all. Turn key on lights and radio come on, but nothing else while turning key. It also was only honking like one time when pressing the lock button on keys over and over Also with the bullydog tune, i unplugged the bullydog after the tune so I think its just a flash tune. But im gonna try turning it on and checking for codes when I get home from work

·
Super Moderator
10,425 Posts
A battery can give you lights and horn but no crank due to large load draw but a not good and tight connection. Good luck and may it be an easy fix.

Clint

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was driving my truck today when at about 30mph it shut off.
Did it just stop like you turned it off or did it give signs first? It's possible the problem is a faulty battery, but I've never heard of one shutting off a running engine. The alternator should have provided enough juice to operate things while the truck was running . . . unless there's a problem with that system.

BTW, I think you're wasting your time asking people who haven't seen your truck what the problem might be. Like the earlier poster said, start simple and work from there; or take it to a shop if you don't know how to troubleshoot. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts