Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Nissan Frontier V6 Crew Cab 4wd. My husband was driving yesterday and as he went to turn it just shut down. No overheating, no check engine light, no warning of any sort. Just shut down. The lights and everything work. The battery is fine, and it turns over fine but will not start. Anyone have anything similar happen?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Same thing happened to me, it was the fuel pump.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fuel pump died?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes, my fuel pump was bad, and had to be replaced. So yes, my fuel pump was no longer living. It died.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You might want to check if there are any fuel issue recalls that have not been addressed, for your truck. You can do a search by VIN. I had recall fuel issues, that were fixed for free, in fact I ended up getting a new gas tank, because they broke something.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 01 se v6 did something like this. Drove to work just fine. Parked liked nor al. Lunch time I tried to start my truck and it would crank just fine. (Pulled the dist cap to check the timing belt) and that was my issue. Crank would spin but the dist didnt move. Towed home and I was right. 12 teeth missing from my timing belt. Put a new one on and motor is still running strong(stronger now that it is sc'd)

·
Registered
337 Posts
My 01 se v6 did something like this. Drove to work just fine. Parked liked nor al. Lunch time I tried to start my truck and it would crank just fine. (Pulled the dist cap to check the timing belt) and that was my issue. Crank would spin but the dist didnt move. Towed home and I was right. 12 teeth missing from my timing belt. Put a new one on and motor is still running strong(stronger now that it is sc'd)
You were extremely lucky, since this is an interference engine.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I like to use aerosol starting fluid to isolate whether such "crank, no start" issue is due to fuel or spark. So do that first.

Crank circuit and the run circuit in the electrical part of the ignition switch are DIFFERENT. So check the run circuit.

I've had to replace the electrical part of my 1998's ignition switch and the one in my 1988 Mazda B2200 truck.

If that's OK, check the distributor.

I like to use aerosol starting fluid to isolate whether such "crank, no start" issue is due to fuel or spark. So do that first.

·
Registered
31 Posts
thats why i checked the distrib first. before cranking and cranking. but if i did end up damaging the motor. i can get a jdm import for 650(+-150 for diff times of the year) under 40k miles. it is one of the only benefits of living in central florida. 1-2 hour drive away and i get new motors for cheap. have used this truck to go pick up 4 motors and 6 transmissions. ontop of towing back 5 cars/trucks now. (Why i always have loved nissan they just GO)

but OP
Check all the fuses/relays?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the responses! Sorry I didn't answer right away - it wouldn't let me reply on mobile. Hoping at this point for a fuel pump and nothing worse. I'm not very mechanically inclined unfortunately (not at all actually), so I haven't really tried much with it. My stepdad has a buddy who has a computer so he's going to see if he can stop at our place to plug it in sometime here that way we at least have an idea of what's going on before we tow it to the mechanic. Wish me luck!

In other news, Bessy our backyard Buick (an old spare Buick we have sitting in our backyard) has finally called it quits at 317,000 miles. We got her to start but there seems to have been a critter munching on some wiring as well as some water pump issues, etc. We probably won't put any more money into her at this point so it's time for her to move on to the big junkyard in the sky.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Sunshinesd.32;3691713[B said:
]2001 Nissan Frontier V6 Crew Cab 4wd[/B]. My husband was driving yesterday and as he went to turn it just shut down. No overheating, no check engine light, no warning of any sort. Just shut down. The lights and everything work. The battery is fine, and it turns over fine but will not start. Anyone have anything similar happen?
I have the same truck. Same thing happened to me last summer. I ended up having the original fuel pump and fuel tank replaced.

·
Registered
337 Posts
There is a recall on the fuel system delivery (fuel pump) something about corrosion on a 2001. All you have to do is call a dealer with your VIN and they will tell you if there are any open recalls on your truck. I had the steering knuckle and my gas tank replaced in 2016 on my 2002, worth a call.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I don't have a 1st gen but may be worth checking crankshaft or camshaft position sensor.

Good Luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well unfortunately it was not the fuel pump. Please excuse my explanation (I'm going to try my best despite my lack of mechanical know-how haha) - the distributor rotor is broken and not turning. The timing chain (or belt?) has jumped time. He needs to do more research on the vehicle & engine to determine if it's likely that there is further damage to the internal components. Best case scenario, if not, then he can replace it at home for less than half what local shops charge. Worst case scenario, I have to take it to a shop for an engine swap. Yay.

So we will see. I do have one of those stupid 3rd party warranties on it that I bought at the dealership in 2016 when I bought it (that I regretted buying right after) through 1st US Auto Protect. They can't tell you what is covered or what isn't though until you get it into a mechanic shop and have them call to start a claim. Even then I'm highly suspicious we'll get halfway through and they'll find a reason not to cover it and I'll be stuck for mechanic shop prices when I could have had someone do it cheaper. Not to mention they'll want to fix all the other little dummy lights and things along the way.

I'm thinking it's best to chalk up the warranty to a dumb buy and just go local like I want, but my husband is determined I should use the warranty so that's another decision to make.

Sigh. At least it waited to get me through all the snow and ice before having issues!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2001 Nissan Frontier V6 Crew Cab 4wd. My husband was driving yesterday and as he went to turn it just shut down. No overheating, no check engine light, no warning of any sort. Just shut down. The lights and everything work. The battery is fine, and it turns over fine but will not start. Anyone have anything similar happen?
I had same problem idle at 500 rpm no check engine light stalls while driving couldn't find nothing online but I got it fixed it was stopped up muffler from where back 2 catalytic converters burned out and all of it went into muffler and stopped it up

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had same problem idle at 500 rpm no check engine light stalls while driving couldn't find nothing online but I got it fixed it was stopped up muffler from where back 2 catalytic converters burned out and all of it went into muffler and stopped it up
I had a 1987 Subaru GL wagon that just died all of the sudden when I was driving. The timing belt broke. Fortunately the engine in that car wasn't an interference engine, so no damage.

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
The distributor shaft is driven off the left bank camshaft, so when the belt breaks, the rotor button stops turning. The teeth dry rot on the belt and they usually strip or break and the crank sprocket, letting the crank turn and the cams stop, which can lead to bent valves. Fortunately, if the engine was idling, it may not have bent the valves. In my experience, the valves usually only bend when the belt breaks at highway speeds, so he may have lucked out. Fingers crossed!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts