Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
When the passenger rear seal was replaced they replaced the caliper,pads, and changed the differential fluid. He felt the rotor was fine.
I replaced the tire 41K miles ago. The truck has 86K. They are Firestone Destination LE2.
On my last oil change the depths were as follows: LF 11/32, RF 10/32, LR 11/32, RR 10/32.
I'm in sales so most of my miles are highway. I change my oil when I rotate my tires (backwards), every 6K miles.
Thanks
^^^pads changed^^^ first line

·
Registered
756 Posts
If there is snow, ice and slush on the road surface my theory is minor wheel slip and VDC intervening.

It's only snowed once since I've owned my truck but I have felt the traction control working on muddy gravel roads.

·
Premium Member
9,858 Posts
How can the brakes work without a cap on the master cylinder?

·
Registered
216 Posts
How can the brakes work without a cap on the master cylinder?
The same way they do with a cap (sorry). In other words, the reservoir is not pressurized it just holds the fluid and keeps it cleaner & dryer.

All the pressure is in the cylinder housing with the pistons. The pressure doesn't build until the pistons have passed (therefore closing) the openings from the reservoir.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Well we just didn't have enough snow today to get it to buck. When I went to clean the battery terminals they looked clean. I know that doesn't mean anything but I looked around and notice two things that weren't right. The air cleaner box was half on. Meaning that the 3 tabs on the none fastening side weren't in the holes and the cover was about an inch off the base. I corrected that and then noticed that my brake fluid cap was missing. I looked around and found it back in the corner by the firewall. Level was fine. This would have been this way since they bled my brakes when they replaced the rear seal. Soooooo until we get more snow I won't know if those things had anything to do with it. I have a hard time thinking it does, but like shizzy said, stranger problems have been fixed with cleaning the terminals. (I'll wait to do that if it continues to see if that does anything) Thanks shizzy for hanging in there with this crazy phenomenon....
I would still pull them off and give them a quick once over with the battery terminal brush. the last time I had the locker light flicker my terminals were only 4 months from the last cleaning, but a quick hit with the terminal brush corrected it.

·
Premium Member
9,858 Posts
The same way they do with a cap (sorry). In other words, the reservoir is not pressurized it just holds the fluid and keeps it cleaner & dryer.

All the pressure is in the cylinder housing with the pistons. The pressure doesn't build until the pistons have passed (therefore closing) the openings from the reservoir.

Hope this helps.
I was always under the impression that if the cap was off the pedal would go to the floor as it needed to be sealed to have pressure.

Clint

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Since the brake master cylinder cap was off I would bleed the brakes and get all new fluid in there.

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,858 Posts
That does explain it, so now I know how it works.
I appreciate the link.

Clint

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hmmmm. Interesting. I have a 2012 Equator CC 4x4 I bought last November. Currently has 60K. When I bought it the dealer put on new Goodyear Assurance (designed for highway/max fuel economy) tires. Not my first choice but I got a good deal on the truck, and will get snow tires for it next winter. I haven't driven it much this winter since I still have an AWD car I use to commute. Anyway twice prior to today I had a symptom similar to the one described by L8KTRSH, both times the road was snow covered and was in 4WD. I have put about 3K on the truck since I bought it. Today I was driving on the highway in 2WD with light snow and wet roads with temp in the low 20's. The bucking occurred three times in 12 highway miles. No VDC light came on during occurrences. Will see if it happens again in the coming days on dry roads, and if not attribute it to traction/stability control, but if it was "normal" I would think there would be many more reports of this "bucking" condition.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Sounds like spark plugs, Manski
They will give you a "trailer-hitching" effect when they start to fail.
Most noticeable at very light throttle with little or no load on the engine, or at that throttle range somewhere between acceleration and deceleration.
Are you due for plugs?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts