Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to install a truck toolbox, likely a low profile crossover type, not because I have a lot of tools to lug around but because winter is coming and I'll need space for snowbrushes, scrapers, a little folding shovel, booster cables, and a few tools associated with truck ownership. While I could fit that in the back seat area of my 2013 S KC, I do occasionally have teenagers in those tiny seats and at other times its nice to have room for groceries etc.

UWS makes a 63 inch crossover box with sloped ends which apparently fits our Fronts nicely. Black is more expensive than silver, but would blend in with my black truck. Most trucks around here are used as cars and a crossover tool box is a pretty rare sight while tonneau covers abound. I use my truck mostly as a car but it occasionally gets worked. At times I would need to remove the crossover box to move a large garden tiller or other bulky items. Odd bits of lumber, ABS pipe etc. could simply go underneath the box as I'm not interested in the extra deep model.

I might just pay the extra for the black if the black finish would hold up well in the sun, heat, wet and cold. Oh yes, and throw in road salt and sand in winter. But I'd rather not have black powder coat or paint flake off shiny aluminum.

Wondering if any folks have opted for black and if so, how has the finish held up over the years.

Also wondering what folks do generally for storage of small items.

Thanks folks!

PhilFrontier

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased the Northern Tool Short Bed Low Profile Crossover Truck Tool Box with Removable Tray — Aluminum, Gloss Black, Pull Handle Latches, 63in. x 20in. x 13in., Model# 36212721 in May 2019 and have been pleased with it so far. Install was easy. I purchased the mounting blocks they recommend for it but I think I could have saved money by going with simple J-bolt with washers and nuts. I did have to remove the utili-rails to mount the tool box. Fortunately, Nissan thought of that and the section of utili-rail up next to cab removes with a 2' section. You may be able to leave that section there if using a J-hook bolt, but the rail had to come out to accommodate the mounting blocks. Nonetheless, it was very simple install. Took about 15 minutes.

After a month, I had to tighten and adjust the post that slide into the latch. They weren't tight when I installed it so they worked themselves loose and the lid wouldn't latch. A bit of adjustment is to be expected. I also had to "tap" those post with a hammer to get them to clear the edge of the box - basically bend the bracket back about 1/16". Again, a simple adjustment.

Everything is staying dry and secure. Time will tell how the paint holds up. I'm in North Carolina Piedmont so a good bit of sun year-round.

20190616_132553.jpg 20190616_132608.jpg 20190616_132636.jpg 20190616_132700.jpg

2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice looking box! Nice truck as well. I have ordered a UWS EC10291. Unfortunately I ordered it from tdot.ca before checking all the complaints online. They are acting pretty odd.
UWS EC10291
UWS EC10291

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tdot.ca informed me that my chosen box would not fit. According to the UWS website and my measurements, it would easily fit. I canceled the order and they did refund my money. I bought a nice chest style truck box from Princess Auto for half the money. Picture to follow :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMG_0595.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I get low on space in my trunk style truck box, a swingcase, followed by a second one, will be part of my plan :) Nice to see a picture of one mounted on a Frontier!

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For those who have Frontiers with utilitracks there are all kinds of creative options! Go for it! And after you get and install, take a picture :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts