Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
My concern would behow HARD you'd have to crank that handle to move 1000lbs of rock or dirt. Unless it has some impressive gearing, you won't be moving anything.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just watched two youtube videos and they seem to work pretty well. My only concern is the weight on the tailgate.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Guy nxt to me at the dump had one a few yrs ago. I asked if he liked it , said he would never own a truck w/o one..

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bought one so we will see

I have a heavy tarp from HD I lay in the bed and just drag it off once I
have the weight down to the point I can do so. Works pretty good for me.

Keep us posted on how that works though. I've seen it here and there, but
considered it an unnecessary gadgit. Let us know what you think.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have a heavy tarp from HD I lay in the bed and just drag it off once I
have the weight down to the point I can do so. Works pretty good for me.
That's how I do it, another benefit of the world smallest p/u bed. Low Resistance..

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
That's how I do it, another benefit of the world smallest p/u bed. Low Resistance..
You must not have the factory bed liner. That thing is like dragging something on 60 grit sandpaper, even after 6 years of use.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have the plastic Nissan Drop in bed liner as opposed to the spray in. I would have preferred the spray in but the drop in was part of the Sport Appearance Package. But the tarp slides like its on wet ice..

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have the plastic Nissan Drop in bed liner as opposed to the spray in. I would have preferred the spray in but the drop in was part of the Sport Appearance Package. But the tarp slides like its on wet ice..
I would pull that out to check under it every year or two. I have seen a number of beds where the slight play in them wore the pain off and the beds starts to rust.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I would pull that out to check under it every year or two. I have seen a number of beds where the slight play in them wore the pain off and the beds starts to rust.
Yea, I would install them in my wrenchin days at the Toyota dealer. Got paid an hour, took ten minutes.. We would laugh at how people were destroying their beds to save them. My old '79 F250's liner wouldn't sit flat due to all the hay n dirt buildup underneath from prev owner.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would have liked this when I regularly hauled debris to the dump years ago. The Frontier is truly a luxury truck but that damned sandpaper-surfaced, spray-on bedliner lets nothing slide off it and the Utili-Trak always gets things wedged in it. Worse, there's a hairline gap on the cab end of the box for drainage and every little thing jams into it. Oh, and the weep holes on the tailgate like to collect debris, too, which I consider a design oversight.

This bed unloader thing is a great idea that I wish I had back when I cared about this stuff.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I would have liked this when I regularly hauled debris to the dump years ago. The Frontier is truly a luxury truck but that damned sandpaper-surfaced, spray-on bedliner lets nothing slide off it and the Utili-Trak always gets things wedged in it. Worse, there's a hairline gap on the cab end of the box for drainage and every little thing jams into it. Oh, and the weep holes on the tailgate like to collect debris, too, which I consider a design oversight.

This bed unloader thing is a great idea that I wish I had back when I cared about this stuff.
Just curious why you think the depression in the bed at the tailgate is a design oversight? You need something small enough to let water out but not let the debris out your carrying. What would you do instead?
I usually just use a garden hose to spray out the front holes once a year and wash it out the back.

What makes the frontier a luxury truck? I would argue against that, compared to the half tons out there that ride like a car and have all the fancy screens and such.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had to modify the brackets because of how thick the spoiler lip on the tailgate but it worked great.

I made 6 trips with dirt today and could unload in literally 30 seconds it can for sure handle more weight than the truck can

Not bad for $35 I got the cheap one at harbor freight

·
Registered
63 Posts
The design oversight is the thin gap at the *cab* end of the truck, not the tailgate. The tailgate is just fine. Gravel gets wedged in that little slit in the front of the box. It's better than the 1st gen Frontier which didn't have any drainage at all on the front end of the box, though.

For 2007, the LE version of this truck compares favorably to the 1999 Lincoln Navigator it replaced. Oodles of power (later model years are downrated electronically to protect the drivetrain, evidently), nice leather, good seats, and it rides quieter and smoother than my Acura MDX.

Today, no, the Frontier can't compete with anything else. They should have redesigned it years ago. I blame the lack of attention to Frontier on the crisis when Fiat pulled Chrysler out of the Nissan Titan/Dodge Ram project and Nissan had to scramble to design a new Titan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
LoadHandler Best $99 I've ever spent

2008 SE with 6foot bed. I bought the LoadHandler from a local truck accessory place, the box was old an dusty, and the brackets were too narrow to fit over the tail gate. However a call to the manufacturer resulted in them in sending the wider brackets for free no S&H either. Great customer service!!!
I can carry about 1/2 to 2/3s yard of material and have used it most recently to unload pea stone, last fall I used it to unload crushed stone. I have used it unload a yard of mulch in 5 minutes. I also use it for regular trips to the town compost to unload leaves, and to pick up compost for the wife's veggie garden.
The only issue i have is stuff falling off the "tarp" and down the gap between the bed and the tailgate. It takes a little while to sweep the bed clean but not as long if I had to shovel it all out. I have drawn up some plans for plywood sides to keep everything on the "tarp" .
-P

1 - 17 of 17 Posts