Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gary,
Here is info on my set that I posted on another site:

Here is some information on my truck drawers and bed platform. I posted a few pictures of my set up in another post and have requests for more information so I'll post the information for anyone that is interested.
The truck is a 2016 Nissan Frontier with a Leer 180 topper where the roof is slightly higher than the cab. You can modify this idea to suit your needs and available head room.
First and second pictures are the basic set up.
The top is made of 3/4 plywood and sits just above the wheel well.This provides a completely flat floor across the entire bed. The top is actually 3 pieces with a large center piece and two smaller sides. The top was cut about 6 inches in on both sides and the pieces are attached with hinges and supported by angle brackets. This allows the sides to fold up to access the areas in front of and behind the wheel wells for additional storage. The 3/4 "" top has no flex when crawling around on it.
The third picture shows the sides flipped up for access to the storage
areas.
Supporting the top are sides and a center divider made of 3/4 inch plywood that rest on a 5/8 inch floor, as seen in the 4th picture.
The drawers have a 3/4 inch front. The sides and bottom are made from 5/8" plywood and will support a lot of weight. see 5th picture.
The entire frame is held in by a few blocks of wood that are screwed into the wooden box as seen in the 6th and 7th pictures. This prevents any sliding, but is not attached to the actual truck bed.
The hardware is window locks and pull handles (and a bottle opener for post hunt fun).
The pieces were cut and test fitted, then disassembled and covered with 2 coats of Thompsons water seal on all sides. Then the parts were finally assembled with screws and glue for extra strength.
Originally I had used furniture slides on the bottom of the drawers but they kept getting stuck and were frequently being pulled off, so they were removed. Even fully loaded, the drawers slide easily. I think the smooth coating of the water seal helps.
The top was covered with indoor/outdoor carpet. On top of the carpet is a 2 inch memory foam mattress that slides onto a rip stop nylon bag.
The dog is comfortable and I can sleep in the back when camping.It also removes easily for cleaning.
The total cost was about $230 for the wood, hardware, water seal, memory foam and cover.
The top comes off with 6 screws if I need to remove the entire set up.
The nice part is that everything is hidden out of view. When the tailgate is locked, the drawers are secure. Someone breaking in would need to go through 3/4 inch plywood to get to anything.
The last picture is my poor attempt at drawing how this was made.
Total time to build was 4 hour outside of water sealing.
Hopefully this will help a fellow junkie.
Image may contain: car and outdoor
Image may contain: outdoor
No automatic alt text available.
No automatic alt text available.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
This is the box I've built for my truck. I've since sprayed the out side with bed liner as well. Originally I wanted a space to store my spare 285/75R16 tire and two have a couple drawers for odds and ends I like to have in the truck for summer excursions, I have since found the factory spare spot fits that tire. I've used it this way for a couple summers now and am thinking a few changes will be in order for the up coming summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
I do a mix of woodworking and construction. My issue with in bed storage is a mix
of water intrusion and security. If you've given it any serious thought you know
the problems. I decided to go with in cab storage for things I need to have on
hand all the time, and bed storage for things I'll leave short term.

The behind the seat box is great, I'm still thinking about how I can make better
use of the rear door and roof areas.

The Tonneau cover let's me store large items like miter saw, portable table saw,
stuff like that. While still allowing me to carry sheet goods like drywall, plywood,
and OSB without having to make any major changes to my truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts