Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im interested in getting one of these for my 01 king cab. I like the idea; the removablility/retracability of a tonneau cover with the look and function of a cap. Perfect! I would love a cap but, I haul motorcycles, dirtbikes, quads, and other large things too often and it would just make a cap an inconvenience. There are just a few things im wondering. How strong is the frame of this thing? Is it going to bend all up the first time i get too far into some tree branches that hang over the trail? Also how does the fabric hold up in cold, snowy, icy conditions? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Roll-Up Truck Bed Covers by ACI

Soft Roll-Up Tonneau Covers are really convenienant to have, especially if you want to haul your bike or other stuff several times a year. ACI (Agri-Cover, Inc.) makes a full line of Access Roll-Up Covers and have been in the business for over 28 years. We have covers in different price ranges, but the vinyl material and quality are the same. We make the covers in North Dakota and have tested them in some of the worst winter conditions and the cover holds up beautifully. You don't have to worry about it freezing up like you do with those snap or canister covers. Check out our website Agricover.com: Truck Bed Covers and Caps - Pickup Tonneau Covers or give us a call 800-233-4655. Ask for Karmen, I can give you a good deal on a cover. Or you can also find a local dealer in your area, by looking it up on our website on our dealer locator. If we can be of help, please let us know. Good luck with your search!

ACI (Agri-Cover, Inc.)
[email protected]
800-233-4655
Agricover.com: Truck Bed Covers and Caps - Pickup Tonneau Covers

·
Registered
574 Posts
Too bad you don't own a Titan, I have an awesome unit for ya....

I have owned a Softopper for 4-years, it is an awesome product, and I highly suggest it. In fact, try this endorsement on for size. Having owned one for the Titan, I'm not even shopping around for a new softop cap for the Frontier, I'm just going to get another Softopper.

Check out their web site, fantastic quality unit - Softopper - Pickup Truck Toppers, Camper Shells & Caps - Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Dodge & More

If I were to have one complaint, their instructions for install SUCK! By the time I finally got mine to fit properly on the Titan I had their so called right rails on the left, and I had the back towards the front, it took hours and hours and hours to figure it out the 1st time, but in the end I found a combo that was great.

And so you know, I used mine for camping as I sleep in the bed, many a rainy nights I have slept in the dry under my Softopper.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I wish i had a titan lol.

Thats the company i plan to go with. Im just wondering how the fabric holds up in the cold months with ice and snow, against tree branches and what not offroad, how solid the structure is, and how stable it is at high speeds.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yeah I wish i had a titan lol.
Thats the company i plan to go with. Im just wondering how the fabric holds up in the cold months with ice and snow, against tree branches and what not offroad, how solid the structure is, and how stable it is at high speeds.
Ok, I'm actually not going to be very good at answering those questions because I only used mine in the summer, and rarely drove with it up. However, I will give you my reactions.

- Cold months I suspect it will be strong enough, the issue you would have is taking it down and putting it back up, and the reason for that is the top is very, very tight, as it needs to be, and snapping it is a challenge when the vinyl is warm and soft, I would think once it is cold you would never be able to stretch it to make the snaps snap, thus in the cold, once it is up, it stays up.

- The vinyl is good and thick, so if you are brushing up against trees I suspect ok, but getting poked with branches is going to be a problem with any fabric or vinyl.

- The structure is decent, I suspect it would hold up to a good deal of snow, but I would be taking the time to brush it off before driving with a ton of weight up there on the poor thing.

The only other option out there I know of is Canback - Can-Back Canvas Truck Camper Shell
I went Softopper because of cost, look at the cost of CanBack, for me that cost scared the hell out of me for a canvas cloth, for 1/2 that amount I could have bought a solid Aluminum one and put it on and off when I needed it.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

quality was ok, i dont like how i have to keep sealing the damn thing to prevent water from getting in

and well fit... could be better... give it at least a month to let it stretch out (like just leave it on the truck and dont touch it)... the first time putting it on will be a nightmare getting those snaps to snap...

i shoulda went with a can back... there like a grand but much better quality

dont get me wrong i love it but just not that damn sealing issue

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys. and fusion your truck looks sweet with it on by the way. Ill look into can back as another option.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I agree fusion, and for me, as I was only planning to use it about 3 times a year, the CanBack although clearly better was just not worth the money to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts