Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellas, I have a 2006 V6 Frontier that I recently picked up. The chassis has 240k and the motor has 90k. I'm having an issue on hill climbs, the truck reaches the indentation on the top of temp gauge and wont pass 4500 RPM at that level. I replaced the thermostat but it still does this. When I was trying to burp the system coolant was consistently rising and flowing over the top of the funnel, when I search on this subject it seems to lead to compression in the coolant system, pointing at a head gasket. However the truck runs great everywhere else, no white smoke, no murky oil, and no other signs of failure. Around town and on highway runs perfect, only over heats after about 15 minutes of hill climbs, any ideas?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
O' Riley's will loan you the test tool for free. The fluid is under 10 bucks.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sounds like your radiator is not dumping enough heat.
Are cooling fins completely clean in both radiator and AC condensor? Wash them with a garden hose.
Are your fan shrouds in place? They must be complete and in place.
Any light bars or other toys blocking airflow to the grill?
The inside of the radiator could be blocked, requiring replacement.
The radiator may have been previously replaced with one of lower capacity.
There may be an issue with the fan clutch. When engine is hot, the fan should be noisy, like it's working double-time.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Sounds like your radiator is not dumping enough heat.
Are your fan shrouds in place? They must be complete and in place.
The radiator may have been previously replaced with one of lower capacity.
There may be an issue with the fan clutch. When engine is hot, the fan should be noisy, like it's working double-time.
^^ This. My first bet goes on fan clutch. They are notorious. I'm getting ready to do double e-fans to get rid of this failure mode and when the radiator shroud's out of the way should have enough space for my double 8a remote oil filter relocation project.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I find it strange that you are unable to go pass 4500 rpms when you experience an over temperature situation. My gut tells me the rev governor is limiting the engine so it does not damage itself. Similar to limp mode.

Let's hope all you have is a fouled radiator. Get a replacement and solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I had thought it was best to add coolant to the reservoir tank instead of to the radiator itself. It might still have an air pocket which might explain this overheating. OP, keep us posted as to your progress & solution, please.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Sure seems like the first thing one would want to do on any Frontier with cooling issues is double check your system for un-burped air in your system.Seems to really be an issue, and cause many different symptoms on these trucks.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sure seems like the first thing one would want to do on any Frontier with cooling issues is double check your system for un-burped air in your system..
I would expect that several extended uphill trips in excess of 4500 rpm would have purged any air out of the system already.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Depends on how low it was and if he let it cool down and add coolant right after completing climb.If he didnt and then headed back down a steep hill it would just suck the air back into the block again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts