Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just let me say that I have over the years gotten a bunch of great advice from this forum. I have a 2008 2wd 4.0 6 cylinder frontier. In 2014 I threw a code for cylinder 1 miss fire. Got a Hayes book and replaced coil and 3 spark plugs. Has been running fine till last Monday. Threw a code for cylinder 5 miss fire. Bought another ignition coil and spark plug. Put it in. Went around block 3 times, no problems. My daughter and I decided to go get lunch. Got out of garage and you could feel the rumble. Truck was under powered all the way to lunch. Stopped off at car parts place. They said I know have miss fire on cylinder 1.
Is this coincidence or is there a pattern somebody sees here.
Thank you for attention.

Newbe Frontier

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Are you replacing the ignition coils with OEM? just wondering how many miles are on all the spark plugs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you replacing the ignition coils with OEM? just wondering how many miles are on all the spark plugs?
Thanx for the reply. Im not exactly sure. Got them from O Reilly auto. If interested the part # is MPI 2-50075. The truck has 135K on it now. I did not note the mileage when I replace cylinder 1 and all 3 spark plugs on passenger side in 2014. I will say I dont drive it a whole bunch as my work provides a company vehicle.
My daughter and I did notice something weird tonight though. We went to an event at 7pm. it was raining and cooling down. Got out at 9pm. Truck started fine. No shimmy or rough idle. After about 5 miles or so and truck temp started to rise, we started noticing the rough engine and the service engine flashing.
Tomorrow Im going to take cylinder 3 coil ( which is the only original coil, on that side) and swap with 1 coil. See if problem follows.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Also what do the spark plugs look like when you pulled them. Probably a good idea to change all of them and use oem parts.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
OEM means original equipment manufacture, so O'Reilly coil packs aren't OEM :) go to
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/
coil packs aren't cheap from Nissan but you can save some money with these guys. And like invasion08 said get 6 new OEM sparkplugs in there, or Denso Iridium Power plugs I haven't had any problems with these. I'm curious about it running fine until it gets warm? Heat causes electrical resistance which would cause the issue once it warms up is my guess.

BTW PM says change your spark plugs at 100k, I did mine at 88k and felt a increase in performance and MPG. I would have changed all the plugs first? And if you still had misfire switch coil pack like you're going to do now and see if problem switches cylinders.

Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to extend a thank You to Invasion. After doing some research on OEM parts. I found out that the coil in cylinder 1, I previously replaced in 2014 was an OEM part and it had a lifetime warranty. Went to parts store and got a new one for free! Thanx Invasion. Put coil in. Truck is purring again.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Thanks for thanking me too :(

·
Registered
598 Posts
Just wanted to extend a thank You to Invasion. After doing some research on OEM parts. I found out that the coil in cylinder 1, I previously replaced in 2014 was an OEM part and it had a lifetime warranty. Went to parts store and got a new one for free! Thanx Invasion. Put coil in. Truck is purring again.
Hey thanks Newbe frontier an glad you got her back up an running see you learn something everyday I was unaware that O'Reilly stocks Nissan parts an with LT warranties I'll have to check them out saves me from driving all the way to McKinney it's kinda funny I know I use to get the RED Toyota Antifreeze @ a Carquest but I was under impression for most part the likes of O'Reilly Pep AZ Advance Napa sell oem equivalents not OEM manufacturer parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts