Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Frontier 4x4 and recently i have had issues with it shifting into overdrive. once i get up to speed i can tell that im still out of OD. it always eventually shifts but that can take up to a mile or two and im nervous that one day it wont shift. any suggestions?
thanks

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
does it feel like it is in distress, or is there just a delay in shifting into the final gear? have you checked your fluid level? are you carrying a payload daily (work equipment or something)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not in distress just not shifting. it will just all of a sudden kick over into OD and be fine. then if i stop and shut the truck of and start it back up again like if i get gas it will be fine. im not carrying anything in the truck just empty.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
does it ever shift out of overdrive ?
when was the last time you had your trans fluid replaced?

·
Registered
260 Posts
The A/T probably has a temperature sensor that prevents it from going into OD until it's fully warmed up. Either that, or it keys off of the engine temperature. You might want to download your factory service manual from the stickies at the top of our DIY forum to see if there's a sensor.

My Mom had a 1988 Maxima that would hunt in and out of O/D in colder ambient temperatures. I noticed that the car wasn't warming up properly into the normal range, so I replaced the thermostat and it never had a problem again...

Heath

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the truck used and have never had the fluid replaced and dont know the last time it was done. I should look into that for sure. it has around 114000 mils on it, anyone know of trans problems in these trucks? I will look into the sensor thats a good point thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts