Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
That depends on how you drive if you're like me and accelerate out of every turn you might as well run a spool. This is why I would prefer a selectable which leaves ARB or nismo factory or a new axle, that is if you have the Dana 44 rear end. But if you coast around turns the lunchbox or auto locker would work great.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That depends on how you drive if you're like me and accelerate out of every turn you might as well run a spool. This is why I would prefer a selectable which leaves ARB or nismo factory or a new axle, that is if you have the Dana 44 rear end. But if you coast around turns the lunchbox or auto locker would work great.
I don't think a spool would be the right thing for me. I DO accelerate through turns, and I DO drive fairly aggressively. However, I also do ALOT of driving on the pavement. More than I off-road, currently.

I'm thinking that an LSD would serve me best, but I could be wrong.

I don't know what kind of rear end I have, honestly. I know that I have a mostly stock (as far as I know) '04 XE Desert Runner.

I have the H646 axle, if that helps at all. I'm going to search what that means to me right now.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Is that susposed to be HB46? That is a beast of an axle apparently, somewhere in the 9.25" range, lol. Are you sure you don't have an LSD from the factory already?

I would avoid the spool or ARB since you probably want it to semi-lock on demand and the only thing that will do it right is an LSD.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Selectable lockers don't last long in the desert.. and look at the title...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
To be quite honest, I will not be in the desert much. If at all, it'll be because I took a long road trip. That's not to say that this is out of the scope of possibility, it'll just be a while. I have to get the machine built first!

I've become way more interested in Off-Road racing since I got the truck. Especially TT's. I just thought I'd ask about how they're setup, what kind of tech that they run with.

For instance:

When watching the videos of TT's ripping apart the desert, I've noticed they have some sort of slap style? stick shift. What's the transmission like on these things? Is it like a modified automatic (where all they have to do is push/pull to the desired gear, or are they pushing a clutch in with their foot?

With this particular thread, I was looking at axles to learn about them. Then I wondered what I have. Then I wondered what the big boys run with. I just like info.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that susposed to be HB46? That is a beast of an axle apparently, somewhere in the 9.25" range, lol. Are you sure you don't have an LSD from the factory already?

I would avoid the spool or ARB since you probably want it to semi-lock on demand and the only thing that will do it right is an LSD.
Well, I checked three times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Unless it's a "b" that looks just like the "6" two characters over, I do indeed have the H646 axle.

What would a 9.25 range be like, anyways? Just for information sake.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good info here. Not by choice, but by necessity I switched from the NISMO e-locker to the Detroit true-trac. Did I downgrade or upgrade? I really don't off road, only the occasional trail, mud or gravel. In 94K miles I probably only used the locker < 10 times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts