Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally had a good bit to haul with the truck. Up to now I had only hauled about 300.lbs in the bed. Today I hauled about 800 .lbs. I reset the trip computer to see what kind of effect this had on gas mileage and to my surprise the trip computer showed 25 mpg. On a 12 mile trip that included some stop and go, and a bit of 55mph driving I ended with an average of over 23mpg. I definitely don't get that mileage doing the same route with an empty load, so my guess is that somehow the load threw off the meter. Anyone have any idea how or why it would have that effect? On the way back via the same route but minus the load, I averaged a more typical 18-19mpg.

·
Super Moderator
19,970 Posts
I never use that mpg to compute fuel economy. I compute it when I refill the tank by dividing the amount of gas into the miles driven. It's always different from the dash display.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I never use that mpg to compute fuel economy. I compute it when I refill the tank by dividing the amount of gas into the miles driven. It's always different from the dash display.
i think i would like to try that,example would be add 10 gal then divide by miles/lets say 200 miles that would be 20 miles per gal ,right?

·
Registered
704 Posts
just filled up i kept the recipt and made note of the mileage,i will post the results.
trip computer says 16.1 as of now.seems to be going up slowly over the past couple of weeks.

·
Super Moderator
11,539 Posts
just filled up i kept the recipt and made note of the mileage,i will post the results.
trip computer says 16.1 as of now.seems to be going up slowly over the past couple of weeks.
Chaz are you familiar with Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG
you can access it on your cell phone at the pump or home to track your mileage.

Clint

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I have found the trip computer to be less than accurate if I reset it every time I fuel. On the other hand if I leave it alone for several tanks of gas it will be with in a tenth of a mile per gallon.

The only time I reset mine now is when I am going to take a road trip just to monitor how it is doing now as compared to when it was new.

·
Super Moderator
11,539 Posts
It does the proper calculations and gives you a true mpg at each fill up.

Clint

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I just hauled around 800 lbs out to vegas and got good mileage. I think it is do to driving habits, I had an engine and transmission on a skid and 2 lift kits. The motor and tranny moved the roll center way up, so not pushing as hard through corners and stuff.

With the cc set on 80 coming home I got my usual lousy mileage

1 - 10 of 10 Posts