Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on a tonneau cover for my 16 frontier short bed with utilitrac rails and moveable extend a bed.
Also I will need to be able to load a couple of bicycles where I remove the front tire and mount the forks to the front utilitrac system.

I am looking at these three at this point

tonnopro seems to be the lowest price

extang trifecta seems to be the same as the tonnopro maybe better quality?

extang emax only one of the three that can fold up for full bed use?

I know there is a ton of info on here I just need to know if they will meet my above requirements and I would prefer to not pay 500 but if it really is worth it I will.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Although I can't speak to those specific models, I have owned 5 or 6 Extang and one Tonnopro covers. I had great success with the Extang with the exception of my last one. However, I was not happy at all with the fit, finish & quality of the Tonnopro Tri-Fold. I replaced the Tonnopro within 6 months (that was an expensive lesson).

As for my last Extang (Black Maxx), it came with bad stitching on the cover and one of the supports was the wrong size. That said, Extang quickly replaced them no problem.

BTW, my favorite Extang soft Tonneau was the Tuff Tonno (FWIW). It's not tri-fold but it has easy roll up (no snaps or velcro) and gives you full bed access.

I came very close to buying an Extang Solid fold for my 2016 but went with the BAK Revolver x2 instead because I liked the look and features.

I recommend Extang for overall quality and customer support.

As for cost, if you call or on-line chat with AutoAnything,com, they will give you 10% off their advertised price.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the extang emax is off the list. They don't make one for our frontiers.
Leaning towards the trifecta. But sounds like I would have to take it off when I am transporting bicycles in the back?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Also I will need to be able to load a couple of bicycles where I remove the front tire and mount the forks to the front utilitrac system.
If you're okay with a semi-permanent fork mount, here's an inexpensive DIY mount:

Utilitrack Yakima bicycle mount - Nissan Titan Forum

Before I discovered that, I had one of these on a modified tie-down cleat (easily moveable but ridiculously priced part):

Front Fork Bike Mount for the Tie-Down Cleat: CourtesyParts | Genuine OEM Nissan Parts & Accessories

(But according to the parts description, it might not work on your post-2010 cleat design. Not sure if there's a newer part.)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I presume you meant a hard cover? I can't help you there, but I really like the vinyl tri-fold (Tyger branded) I bought off of amazon for about $150 (as I vaguely remember). It has rear clamps, and if you need to remove it entirely, simply unscrew the front two clamps, pick it up, and sit it in the back seat (or in the bed itself for that matter).

Takes about 5 minutes (if that) to take it off, or to put it on...

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did mean a soft trifold.
The reviews I saw on the Tyger did not look so good. glad to see they seem to be a good brand.
Any more pics.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the Tyger brand can you fully use the bed extender?
I notice on amazon they only show for up to 2015. I assume they will fit the 16 since they are the same?
The 200 dollar savings is tempting over the extang trifecta.

I presume you meant a hard cover? I can't help you

there, but I really like the vinyl tri-fold (Tyger branded) I bought off of amazon for about $150 (as I vaguely remember). It has rear clamps, and if you need to remove it entirely, simply unscrew the front two clamps, pick it up, and sit it in the back seat (or in the bed itself for that matter).

Takes about 5 minutes (if that) to take it off, or to put it on...

·
Registered
241 Posts
With the Tyger brand can you fully use the bed extender?
I notice on amazon they only show for up to 2015. I assume they will fit the 16 since they are the same?
The 200 dollar savings is tempting over the extang trifecta.
The 2015 and 2016 are identical. I don't believe there have been any major changes to the Frontier (aside from interior electronics), so the bed sizes are the same.

As for the reviews, I see a 4.5 star rating amongst all the buyers;

https://www.amazon.com/Tyger-Auto-TG-BC3N1028-Tri-Fold-Frontier/dp/B00L32LGKM

Never read the reviews, but people always complain about something, no matter what the product...

I can only say that -- for me -- it fills my needs to keep the bed covered and still keep it easily accessible. I've taken it through the car wash about once a month for the past 5 months and driven with it installed for about 10,000 miles so far. Aside from a little stain caused by tree sap (I left the truck parked under a pine tree over a weekend), it looks the same as when I bought it.

Initially, I had one big concern, but it turns out I was just being silly. Specifically, the rear clamps are plastic and I was *so* afraid that I would break them. They don't have to be clamped hard, just kind of "finger tight" when you install it. So far, it's been taken off and on about 10 times (loading furniture and trash for the dumpster) with no issues.

The other thing was, in the box, you get four little metal "adapters" (clamps, whatever you want to call them) that have to be tightened into the rails with a (supplied) allen wrench. Then, you need to take a few moments to adjust the actual parts that clamp down on the rails from the outside to the center of the mount to allow them space to grab hold of the metal adapters.

Hard to explain, easy to do.

Wayne

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for the info
segwayne do you have a bed extender with utilitrac?
The only real negative part of using the tyger cover that I can find is that it appears to limit you from being able to slide the bed extender and that you have to take the utilitrac mounts off partially to install?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks again for the info
segwayne do you have a bed extender with utilitrac?
The only real negative part of using the tyger cover that I can find is that it appears to limit you from being able to slide the bed extender and that you have to take the utilitrac mounts off partially to install?
Since we started this conversation, I've been trying to remember exactly which brand(s) they were, but the "Tyger" branded soft tri-fold tonneau seems to be IDENTICAL to the TonnoPro ($280) the Gator ($249), and the American Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover ($270) right down to the plastic rear clips. Looking at my receipt from Amazon, it looks like I paid $179.00 at the time.

From all appearances judging from the photos in the links above, the Tyger's just a rebranded (and cheaper) version of those.

As for the bed extender, yes, you are correct. If the adapters are in the rail to hold down the tonneau cover, you lose about 6" of extension, meaning that rather than sitting out pretty much on the edge of the tailgate, you're about 4-6" in. To get that 6" back, you'd need to first, fold the cover forward, then remove the adapters (with an allen wrench). It was also a sequence to install the adapters where you had to remove the extender bracket, install the forward adapter, then the bracket, then the rear adapter (on each side), and the instructions aren't the greatest, but...

Not impossible, but annoying.

I cannot say 100%, but with the Utilitrack system, I believe it's going to be the exact same with any of the above covers. Read the install instructions (maybe) to verify?

Here's the NON-Utilitrack install video:

That being said, in the first 6 months I've owned the truck, I've needed to use the bed extender exactly zero times. The allen wrench is in the console should I get anywhere and need it, but the bed extender (for me) has really served just to keep groceries and boxes from sliding to the front of the bed when I'm not hauling furniture. Bigger pieces like furniture don't need the bed extender, so.... Your mileage may vary...

For the record, not trying to sell you on it, it's just what worked for me.

Wayne

·
Registered
269 Posts
I own a tonnopro and have had it for 4yrs now. I have a unlimited car wash plan and wash my truck a least once a week if not more ( very anal like a clean truck) and found this cover to hold up very well over the years. The stitching is starting to degrade slightly. If I'm not mistaken i paid around $200. It is quite easy to r&r. I also have a hydrid bike and mount forks to side rails at rear of bed so to be able to close tailgate and not have to remove cover. You'll find the bed length from side to side is longer then front to rear.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A

Thanls again for the info
Can you send a a pic of the rear Trac area where it limits the extender?

[

QUOTE=segwayne;3116457]Since we started this conversation, I've been trying to remember exactly which brand(s) they were, but the "Tyger" branded soft tri-fold tonneau seems to be IDENTICAL to the TonnoPro ($280) the Gator ($249), and the American Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover ($270) right down to the plastic rear clips. Looking at my receipt from Amazon, it looks like I paid $179.00 at the time.

From all appearances judging from the photos in the links above, the Tyger's just a rebranded (and cheaper) version of those.

As for the bed extender, yes, you are correct. If the adapters are in the rail to hold down the tonneau cover, you lose about 6" of extension, meaning that rather than sitting out pretty much on the edge of the tailgate, you're about 4-6" in. To get that 6" back, you'd need to first, fold the cover forward, then remove the adapters (with an allen wrench). It was also a sequence to install the adapters where you had to remove the extender bracket, install the forward adapter, then the bracket, then the rear adapter (on each side), and the instructions aren't the greatest, but...

Not impossible, but annoying.

I cannot say 100%, but with the Utilitrack system, I believe it's going to be the exact same with any of the above covers. Read the install instructions (maybe) to verify?

Here's the NON-Utilitrack install video:

That being said, in the first 6 months I've owned the truck, I've needed to use the bed extender exactly zero times. The allen wrench is in the console should I get anywhere and need it, but the bed extender (for me) has really served just to keep groceries and boxes from sliding to the front of the bed when I'm not hauling furniture. Bigger pieces like furniture don't need the bed extender, so.... Your mileage may vary...

For the record, not trying to sell you on it, it's just what worked for me.

Wayne[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow too many options
anyone use ever try the gator bifold? hard cover ?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not the bifold, but I have the Gator FX5 hard trifold and I love it. Their customer service is top notch. Probably the best purchase I have made for my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the help. I looked into every option out there. For now it looks like for me the best choice is a Tyger brand trifold tonneau cover orders one up was here in two days from Amazon.
With all the help and videos posted I know what I am getting into. I will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again

·
Registered
17 Posts
FWIW I just ordered the Tyger version yesterday and it's supposed to be here Tuesday. I saw a lot of really good reviews on it as well mine is a 16' crew cab short bed as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Quick update.
I installed the Tyger cover.
Better quality than I even expected.
Fit very well overall. Looks great.
Since the front of the truck bed is lower than the sides there is a gap there.
Went to home Depot and purchased a length of 1/2“black pipe insulation that has the adhesive strips. This piece runs about $5 compared to the harder foam style.
It worked great. I then installed the seal on the body of the truck to seal the sides of the tailgate. I decided not to seal the bottom of the rear of the bed since I want any water to come out easily.
Bed Cover came. With a magnetic light and storage bag as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts