Username: travhale
Year: 2012
Make: Nissan
Model: Fontier
Trim: Pro4x
Color: White
Mods:

Interior: Stock

Exterior: Trimmed Front Mud Flaps, Front L&R Spoilers removed.

Drivetrain: Stock

Suspension & Tires: PRG Mini Lift (2" front 1.5" rear-spacers),Goodyear Duratrac 285/75/16 tires, Nissan Camber and Caster Bolts

Armor: Stock Pro4x "Skid" Plates

Performance: Stock

Gear and Other:

In Progress: The truck is more capable than me right now, so I'll mod as needed. Next is likely a set of sliders, oil pan skid, and a bed cover. Currently do not rub with the tires, but likely to do the melt mod soon just to provide additional clearance.

Don't have any mod pics yet, so these will do for now

Stock - First Trip to the Beach

Stock - First Time in the Snow
The Rugged Fails Actually were Decent in the Snow

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Looking good man. If you haven't already, check out Raine's build thread for the fender liner/mud flap mods. I kind of copied his method. Its kind of spread out on several pages as I recall, but it did the trick for me. I've been thinking about a kayak for a while, something I can fish from too. What kind is yours?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looking good man. If you haven't already, check out Raine's build thread for the fender liner/mud flap mods. I kind of copied his method. Its kind of spread out on several pages as I recall, but it did the trick for me. I've been thinking about a kayak for a while, something I can fish from too. What kind is yours?

Thanks, and I think I know what you're talking about. He moved around some of the mounting points, which pulled the liners away from the tires?

It's an old Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident Angler, I've had it a long time. I do a lot of fishing on the Gulf Coast out of it--it a good hull for inshore fishing. If i were buying now, i'd go for one of the newer pedal driven yaks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the lift before the tires, and the truck actually looked like it had a lift. Now, with the 285/75/16 Duratracs, it looks stock again.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I can tell its lifted. With my aftermarket wheels that have a wider stance I said the same thing even though I still have 265/75's. Kind of wish I had 285's now though I'd have to lose the stock mud guards and maybe do a bit more metal cutting at the rear of front fender. From certain angles my tires look small in scale. FYI, as of today, Raine's photos are now back up in his build thread if you want to check out his fender liner mod.

Reactions: travhale

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I read hear, when installing the camber bolts to put the washer on the back one so it pushes the control arm out and the front one so it pulls it in. That will bring the tire forward giving extra clearance at the back. When getting it aligned, just tell the tech that's why you did it that way and he will be able to keep it that way.
Worked for me.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I've already adjusted the cam bolts for max camber and caster. Sitting at Souther Off-road waiting on my alignment now. I handed the tech Brutals instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I also rebuilt my entire front end. The tech where I go said it was the easiest align he has ever done. Everything was new though. I also used SPC uca's with the adjustable ball joint.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, here it is. The tech was not happy with it, that drivers side camber is a little worry some. I'm going to drive it and see how the tires wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Travis, funny finding you here..............
Here's a pic of my old blue Frontier I traded for my new white Frontier
Hey, Brian.. Perhaps the internet is smaller than we think.

Yeah, I don't get down to fish as much, so now i'm back into hiking/backpacking/off-roading/camping. Going to start hitting some of these backwoods lakes soon. Thinking about getting a small cheap kayak for that.

Congrats on the new ride.. no more Jeeps?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
A little extra tire clearance

I'm doing a little wheeling this weekend, and needed to address some of the tire clearance issues after my lift and bigger tires. I borrowed some of the ideas from from Raine's build.

Did I mention it was hot?

Decided to move the mounting points of the front edge of the wheel liners rather than use a heat gun to do the, "melt mod."

Before

After

Before

After

Once I finished that job, like Raine, I didn't like the way things looked under the truck. So I decided to remove the lip from the front spoiler. I did this very easily with just my pocket knife, and it came out very clean. I also cut out the section that covers the drivers side mounting point for an additional front recovery point--I hope to add that soon.

Outer lip

Center piece

Completed

I still need to deal with the clearance issue on the back edge of the front fenders, but I ran out of light. I'm also still debating on what I want to do with the mud flaps.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hit a random trail this evening, which gave me the chance to test out my front wheel well clearances. It looks like the mods that I made yesterday are adequate--I did not experience any rubbing on the front spoiler or front liners. However, I still get a little rubbing on the rear of the front wheel well liner, so that will be my next project.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Did some more wheeling this weekend. Getting a little rubbing still in certain situations, nothing major, but I want to sort it out.

Click here for wheeling pics

Carnage.. I also caught my front bumper on a tree trying to back down a tight incline, which tore/peeled the corner off. Anyone have suggestions for a steel bumper that isn't too pricy?

Damage

Pretty happy with the Goodyear Duratracts, and even with the rubbing, i'm very glad that I went with 285s over 265s. I'm not happy with the alignment that I was able to achieve with the camber bolts. The front tire tread blocks are already rounding, while the rears are still very much square. I also feel that the alignment is causing them to be louder than they should be--specifically my drivers side front tire which has a little more positive camber than i'd like. I've been running 35psi all around on the street but i may experiment with that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I was able to trim the little hump from the mud flap to gain some clearance. I still get the slightest rub when I am backing up with the wheels turned, but it's so minor I really don't worry at this point.
Yeah, I've already trimmed the mud flaps, and the rubbing, like you've experienced, is pretty minimal. I modified my front spoiler by removing the lip, but I did get a little rubbing on it when reversing, so i'm going to see if I can trim those pieces up too. If not, I'll just remove them again.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update on the Goodyear Duratracs.

I've had some, "wha wha" noise coming from my passenger side front tire since they were mounted. I chocked it up to being new tires initially, but it has become obvious that there is something more going on. The noise is rhythmic, and fluctuates with RPM. Today, I increased tire pressure from 35psi to 40psi, and the noise became much louder with an associated vibration that is in cadence with the sound. Will contact discount tire to see what can be done about this.

Otherwise, i'm very happy with them both on and off road.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts