Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know of only one, scamp trailers (Scamp Travel Trailers: Small Lightweight Campers, Easily Towable) that make travel trailers just for mid-size pick-up's. I like the 19ft mini-5th wheel one, but I was curious. Is there any other companies that cater to those of us with mid-size trucks (talking about 1st gen's)? Or are the any travel trailers with mid-size trucks in mind?

I am moving to Valdosta, GA (from the Portland, OR area) for 1 year August to August. And instead of wasting a years rent somewhere I rather just buy a travel trailer, tow it with the frontier live in it and tow it back to Portland, OR. Don't think I'm crazy, I spent 4 years in the Navy so a 19ft camper is like a mansion, and it would be way cooler!

Any help is great!

I forgot to add, I know I can do 19ft.....if my friends dakota can pull this. I know the Frontier will have no problems with something of this size.

·
Registered
142 Posts
We used to have a travel trailer called a Burro, we towed it with our 1976 Datsun 620 pickup pretty easily. It was vintage but similar to the Scamp, short length and lightweight. Probably wouldn't want to spend a year in it though... Might consider a pop up trailer or something similar?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I think the Que may be as heavy as you want to go - I like it.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i'm sure you know how to handle towing, but i think the 19 footer would be a handfull in a 1st gen. for an auto v6, max towing is 5k, and i would fear frying the tranny towing anywhere around that for a long distance or through hills or mountains.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Especially since I'm sure you have to travel through the Rockies, and most likely some of the Appalachian, get the 17' it's very nice

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The nice thing about that 19fter is having the separate dining/sleeping area. That makes a big difference, especially knowing that sometime in your year period there will be more than one person in the trailer with you.

Maybe the thing to do is find the camper in GA so you aren't killing your mpg on the trip down and worrying about towing something that big. You can decide at the end of your stay whether the camper is worth bringing back.

You can find things like this around the area for about 11k. I see the billboards all the time: New 2010 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180LE Travel Trailer For Sale - Camping World RV Sales - Statesville

The other lightweight option is the [email protected]; but they are a little more on the expensive side: Tab-rv.com - [email protected] Microlite teardrop RV travel trailer campers - Tab

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Why not buy said trailer in GA or some closer state and then possibly sell said trailer instead of towing it back?

I get the idea that owning a trailer will make things cheaper for the year. Had a 36' fifth wheel for 4 years. We always paid to have the trailer towed to location to the tune of $1.50/mile, but that was cheaper than a tow rig + insurance + maintenance.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, thanks. Seems like the general concensus is no bigger than 17 feet, I will probably start looking for trailers in the general area of my destination and along my route. I was just needing an idea of where to stop at, anything smaller than 14 feet will be to little for a years time and anything bigger than 17 is too much for the truck.

Also, I would be better off towing it one way rather than both ways, and from my short 2 years of over the road trucking experince the mountain grades coming back west are mostly downhill rather than up so it would be better for the truck if I where to jump up to I-80 it would be smooth sailing untill Wyoming, there are 2 grades there Idaho has 2-3 little hills and then cabbage pass in Oregon and im home! As long as I stay away from Utah and Colorado I don't see anything too major......we'll see!

·
Registered
47 Posts
To be honest, alot of people think too much into the length.....

The type of TT makes more difference than the length ever will... For some reason, you have two identical TT's and one is much heavier than the other, and I mean not even close in weight... Go off the TT's GVW then also the Hitch Weight. Figure in where the Hitch weight is gonna fit into your Payload.

Also, popouts and slideouts make alot more difference than the length... For example, you can have a 17' with popouts and slideouts that give it alot more room than a 21' has, depending on the floorplan of course.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We had a pop up 18 foot with a hard slide which was about 2600 lbs. We have just purchased a 18 ft tt which is about 3600 lbs. The frontier pulls it fine. It revs higher then my previous full sizes. Just remember to get towing mirrors. Why no one makes a nice oem towing mirror for a frontier, I just don't know.
Cheers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts